A Guide to Angling With The Centerpin Reel

Anglers' Net

The use of the reel was first referred to in English angling literature in Thomas Barker's The Art of Angling (1651). However for our purpose,

Click here to view the full article

Try our newTackle & Bait Finder
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fishingtackle/

Grab yourself an amazing bargain at http://www.cheap-bargains.co.uk/

USING THE LINKS ABOVE IS A WAY THAT YOU CAN HELP KEEP ANGLERS' NET FREE!

I very much enjoyed reading this article by one of the centrepin masters and particularly liked the description of the Wallis cast which I thought was very clear.

I use the pin fairly often but don't normally need to cast very far when long-trotting on the small streams around me but I shall certainly be trying to perfect my wallis casting a bit more after reading this.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

most excellent and too the point (which having read a lot of centrepin articles is a refreshing change) yes very nice

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks Alan a great article, hits several nails on the head and confirms my suspicions that the Wallis cast is basically a simple operation but requires perfect timing and co-ordination (which I don't have). I just know that I'll hook myself a few times before I get the hang of it.

Edit: Quick rethink, Close season, large back garden, practice without a hook. Why didn't I think of that?

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well Ive read it about 6 and i will read it about 600 more before June 16th, so you might not get that phone call Alan but I'm not promising. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

A very good article Alan.

Speaking as a 'seasoned' CP user, I agree with Chavender. Mainy articles are too complicated and contrived, yours is consise and easy to follow, without losing anything because of that.

Nice one mate.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A great article and I may just attempt the Wallis cast when I'm feeling brave (having always used the Nottingham cast - though I didn't know it was called that !)

A couple of things - i think the article meant Lewtham engineering (rather than Lewthwaite) but i may be wrong ...... i have a Lewtham engineering Sidecaster (though I always called it a frontcaster) which I use for Legering or Lake float fishing (it's a bit heavy for prolonged trotting). it's a great reel and ideal for long casting. I agree with the line twist but I have one of those little metal things like an arsley bomb with a spiral and that does a good job of removing the twist. I don't get to fish a lot so it may be more of a problem if you use it regularly ........

JAK

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's lifespan........

Firstly Many thanks to you all for the complements it's nice to know that the article will bring benefit to some people as well as hopefully some pleasure.

Jak the error is mine as Lewtham engineering is owned by Dave Lewthwaite a thoroughly decent chap from the few dealings that I have had with him.

Finally if anyone is still struggling to master the pin and can make it up to God's own county of Lancashire I will cheerfully assist them

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan