Fishing with bow and arrow?

Guest Ferret1959

Peter Waller:

But the US is the US Budgie! They have even been known to use explosives as a means of wiping out pike! Only in America!!

Carp as well Peter. I've seen it first hand. You wouldn't by chance be speaking about the cull in California? Oh and whats a dwarf? :D

It's a moral issue. Hunting for fun and hunting out of necessity. I wouldn't call it fun but it is a way of life. Schools in the states cater to it. However some of the issues brought up in this thread have merit. But keep in mind the majority of those barbaric acts are few and far between. Not every American carries a high powered rifle on his (or her ) shoulder, a pistol on their belt and a bow in the back window of their truck.

[ 27. September 2004, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems they are illegal for that purpose.

LEGITIMATE USES

There are no official statistics on the number of crossbows in lawful circulation in the UK. The vast majority are used lawfully and safely for target shooting purposes. Hunting animals with any sort of bow in the UK is unlawful.

See here:-

publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...uc95/uc9509.htm

And for the whole firearms legislation:-

publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...uc95/uc9502.htm

Just press next to see.

<small>[ 28. September 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]</small>

Guest Ferret1959

Thought so, my complaint to Ebay is justified then, shame it's fell on deaf ears.(at the moment)

Thanks for going to the trouble in looking it up. :)

Peter Waller:

Yep, the very same cull. Any excuse to make a bang! And they didn't succeed either! Well, not with the pike, might have done with the carp.

Not with the carp either. They did have some success with poison though.

The problem with carp as it was explained to me is that they muddy the water by rooting at the vegetation thus destroying the habitat for native cut-throat trout. They were not indigenous to the area but reproduced and spread at an alarming rate.

That is the case all over the world where a species is introduced with hope that it will help control another :rolleyes: . Plants as well.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff S:

The problem with carp as it was explained to me is that they muddy the water by rooting at the vegetation thus destroying the habitat for native cut-throat trout.

You'll hear that quite often from the DNR folks. I expect that once in a great while it may even be true. More often there is a problem with the water and carp are simply able to survive the bad conditions better than most fish so they are seen when very little else is alive and are blamed for causing the problem rather than just surviving it.

If it was a trout water then almost certainly that explanation was bogus even though it is possible the DNR people believed it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nugg:

Hunting animals with any sort of bow in the UK is unlawful.

How about divers in the sea? I doubt that would be illegal. Spearguns and similar?

Any idea why bow hunting is illegal? Looks like it should be fine for any game that is legal with a gun.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Ferret1959

I remember a few years back when a campaign was on for the ban for hunting with bow and arrow there was a picture in the national press of a deer running about with an arrow in it's head and was suffering for quite a while.

I'm not sure but shooting with a gun is more efficient that using a bow and arrow.