Fishing with bow and arrow?

Guest Ferret1959

Newt:

Newt:

Hunting animals with any sort of bow in the UK is unlawful.

How about divers in the sea? I doubt that would be illegal. Spearguns and similar?

Any idea why bow hunting is illegal? Looks like it should be fine for any game that is legal with a gun.

Newt

This is how the law is written over here.

It's only legal to shoot Deer under licence even with a gun.

The piece of the relevant act is in Section 4:-

test.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1991/...54_en.htm#div-4

The whole lot:-

hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1991/Ukpga...910054_en_2.htm

And to answer your 2nd question it appears it's not illegal, your right, if:-

These rules do not apply to an air weapon designed for use only when submerged in water, e.g. harpoon gun.

Air Gun Law.

http://www.airgun-shooter.co.uk/airgunlaw.htm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From reading, (if my brain didn't go totally numb from reading that language ) it would seem that if you were authorized to take a deer with a gun you could also take one with a bow. I think.

An aside question - I noticed they regulation specifically mentioned the Queen. Do your rules have to be re-written whenever the monarch goes from a King to a Queen or vice versa?

quote:

Be it enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual ...
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

They have two sets of rules printed Newt. Which set comes out depends on the sex of the monach. When our Mrs Thatcher was pushing to be Queen there was talk of printing a third set without 'Most Excellent' before Majesty.

For poaching the Kings Deer, you could end up having your eyes put out or your arm cut of or just your bow finger, but if they felt really benevolent your family would be put out of house and home or killed, or you could be hung drawn and quartered. Lucky I don't like Venison eh.

As an english archer and angler, I am aware that it is illegal to shoot any living creature with a bow and arrow in the uk, as it is rare to get a kill shot, ie the animal ends up tortured and tormented. In america as has already been said, carp have no value, and again as already said this comes from a country where turkeys are hunted with spring loaded, vicious barbed arrows, sporting isnt it?

Emma

Lonsdale Park

"tortured, tormented, vicious"

I gotta say you like your emotionally loaded words & phrases.

Have you ever actually seen any bow hunting? Land animals rather than fish and seen rather than read about or watched video?

[ 30. September 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not wanting to be contentious this early in my membership, but here goes. If i remember correctly, hunting with a bow has been banned for centuries.

In the States, where bow hunting is legal, most hunters out for such as deer, use a broadhead, with three razor sharp blades. The idea is that the target will die from massive hemmorage in a very short space of time. I'm sure this is the case on frequent occasions, but all responsible hunters know that sometimes it doesn't and should move heaven and earth to tack down the critter and put it down as quickly as possible. Sounds a bit brutal to none hunters, I know, but it usually isn't. And before anyone asks, I was an archer before I started shooting, and even these days, I do my utmost to be well within range and make sure that the first shot does its job quickly and painlessly. Not trying to take any stance on this, just trying to inform you how things are.

Dave

contentious is good but remember Newt IS American and visiting soon and could be packing hardware

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Newt, I have hunted with cross bow and I have to say that an instant kill is not guaranteed. But the time from felling the prey to the coup de grace is usually pretty darn short. I don't subscribe to the fallacy of thinking that animals respond as humans do though. I'm not so sure that I see a dying fish laying in the dill of a boat as much different. I kill it as soon as I am able, I then use it as food.

But, despite Lonsdalepark's emotive comment, don't you think she has a point Newt? Hunt to kill by all means, but is a bow and arrow really a good killing tool? I agree that it is an excellent and sporting hunting tool, but I'm not so sure that its ability to kill is up to that of a rifle.

I'm not convinced either way. If we can fish for food then surely we can also shoot, even arrows, for food?