New River Season Starts Next Month

Guest Rabbit

I can't wait either. I'm going to be joining this river angling club - http://www.bctac.co.uk/

Apparently John Wilson used to be a member

That's a bit of luck. :D

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, really hope things are better come June as the Avon was just dire at the beginning of the year.

Hate to say it but I've seen plenty of 'anglers' about during the close season and I'm in no doubt our eastern european friends have been bagging up on BBQ fodder while the rest of us walk up and down the river in anticipation!

Have spent the last few weekends in the boat sussing out some spots on the upper and lower Thames and have not seen any fishing the top end but sadly the same cannot be said for the lower end,river looks perfik at the mo so here is hoping we dont have a dry spell from now on as that can be as bad as the flood,Have spotted some hulking great Carp in areas of the river that i didnt expect steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

How lucky you are to have good river fishing in your locality, We have quite a poor choice of river fishing in essex and have to travel quite long distances to stand a chance of a Barbel or Chub.

There is the river chelmer (which is lagely slow moving and most of the weir's are innaccessible) and one or two smaller streams.

I am quite envious of your choice of waters.

Tight Lines.

Chris your right that Essex rivers are not a patch on the mighty rivers like the Hamps Avon et. al but our rivers do often produce nice fish. i am not too familiar with the Chelmer but may people i know like to fish it for carp! I tend to fish the river stort a lot which is also slow moving and it regularly does perch up to 3 pounds as well as nice chub and is a great winter location. The river Lee which is right on the border with herts has parts that contain double figure barbel and of course a few years ago held the chub record at 8 pounds 10. The Roding unfortuantly had a fish kill a few years ago but is recovering and the suffolk stour on the border with Suffolk is reputed to be good but have not fished it in years.

Added to this there are some small intimate rivers and streams that hold surprise fish. for example the river wid gave me my first chub at 2 pounds 8 ounces a few years ago and it looks no bigger than a small stream.

There are not too many barble in Essex but there are large chub, carp, perch and even pike on some rivers. Don't be down hearted while we have to go off to other counties to find the fast flowing rivers there is still some good angling to be had locally.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Have spent the last few weekends in the boat sussing out some spots on the upper and lower Thames and have not seen any fishing the top end but sadly the same cannot be said for the lower end,river looks perfik at the mo so here is hoping we dont have a dry spell from now on as that can be as bad as the flood,Have spotted some hulking great Carp in areas of the river that i didnt expect steve.

That's interesting Steve. What kinds of areas? In general terms of course, no details required. The Thames up here is virtually a stillwater at the moment, it could do with a decent flush through before the start of the season. The tributaries are as low as I've ever seen them!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I can't wait to get back to the upper Lea near Wheathamstead in Hertfordshire. We can see the bottom in most swims and I want to do a bit of long-trotting after Barbel, Chub and some of the larger Roach that have started showing their faces on a quiet section at the tail end of last season (I'm hoping they haven't moved further along the river).

I also want to fish the Ivel a bit more this year and of course the upper Gt Ouse at Radwell & Felmersham.

My new rod and Centrepin are all setup with new line etc. and sitting ready to go and I have stocked my bait fridge in my shed; so roll on the 16th.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I can't wait to get back to the upper Lea near Wheathamstead in Hertfordshire. We can see the bottom in most swims and I want to do a bit of long-trotting after Barbel, Chub and some of the larger Roach that have started showing their faces on a quiet section at the tail end of last season (I'm hoping they haven't moved further along the river).

I also want to fish the Ivel a bit more this year and of course the upper Gt Ouse at Radwell & Felmersham.

My new rod and Centrepin are all setup with new line etc. and sitting ready to go and I have stocked my bait fridge in my shed; so roll on the 16th.

Sounds like a fellow VAC member ! OK if I PM you for a chat ?

JAK

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's lifespan........

Guest Rabbit
How lucky you are to have good river fishing in your locality, We have quite a poor choice of river fishing in essex and have to travel quite long distances to stand a chance of a Barbel or Chub.

There is the river chelmer (which is lagely slow moving and most of the weir's are innaccessible) and one or two smaller streams.

I am quite envious of your choice of waters.

Tight Lines.

Hi Chris

Come on over for a few days if you can, the Wye Teme, and MIddle Severn are stuffed with Barbel and Chub.

Be happy to help if I can.

Similar story here, two new centrepins to try out. I have high hopes of the Bewick, I suspect it'll turn out be something quite special. I'm taking a drive up to Garry Mills works tomorrow to have a good look at how his reels are manufactured, outside chance of a third if I get careless.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Guest tigger
Similar story here, two new centrepins to try out. I have high hopes of the Bewick, I suspect it'll turn out be something quite special. I'm taking a drive up to Garry Mills works tomorrow to have a good look at how his reels are manufactured, outside chance of a third if I get careless.

:lol: Rusty, you've deffo got the bug m8. I'll be interested to hear how you go on at Mill tackle.