Wigan Canal Stretches

rourke7719

Been considering fishing the canals in Wigan as I only live a couple of mins from them.

Anyone know who controls the fishing on them, are they free/day ticket/club ticket?

I'm looking at the lengths from the alliance & leicester/girobank building up towards ince and on to top lock but info on any of the other lengths would be appreciated as well. Any hot spots or not spots and methods would be handy to.

Cheers

Hi there

I think Wigan AA control a fair stretch of the canal although without checking my map book I couldnt be sure how much.

Hang on I have found it online - check these out!

http://www.wigandaa.org.uk/waters/canals/l...pool-canal.html

http://www.wigandaa.org.uk/waters/canals/rufford-canal.html

Hope this helps

Cheers, that helps a bit but I can't find mention of the stretches around Ince. Anyone have any ideas?

Are the still waters on the Wigan AA card any good, I wouldn't join on the back of the canal stretches but if the still waters are anygood I may consider it

I bought the Wigan card and have only been to one water. I hear that Fan Lodge is a good water and that Morans moat is one of the waters that the AA are reguarly maintaing and improving. I am sure that Figure 8 is also a good water in the summer?

i looked at the site just out of interest although i live in Essex. all i can say is you lot up north don't know you are born :D , i mean 24 quid for all those waters, here you would pay at least £60 for anything comparable, and 2 quid for a day ticket on the canal. i haven't seen £2 day tickets since the early 90's. All i can say is fill your boots. :mellow:

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Guest tigger
i looked at the site just out of interest although i live in Essex. all i can say is you lot up north don't know you are born :D , i mean 24 quid for all those waters, here you would pay at least £60 for anything comparable, and 2 quid for a day ticket on the canal. i haven't seen £2 day tickets since the early 90's. All i can say is fill your boots. :mellow:

Trouble is we've no chalk streams up here. That's one thing I really envy you southerners -_-

No one is complaining about the price of the tickets, all I'm saying is if the waters are not worth it then I'll look alse where. I spent 10 years living down south in various places and I'm well aware of how much the clubs cost and had no worries paying it because the waters controlled buy those clubs are worth it.

I don't know if you have seen the state of some of the canals in the Wigan area but believe me when I say that they are not at all as pleasant as some of the rivers I have fished down south, add to that the amount of people that walk the canals, a lot of which are not at all considerate of other canal users and you'll realise why someone wouldn't want to pay £24 a year just to use the canals.

So in response to your statement, having lived and fished in many parts of this country, I am well aware that "I am born" and maybe you should look deeper into the subject before you raise a such a point.

rourke i was only doing a bit of leg pulling hence the simley. On a serious point i too bemone the way some of our canals have become no go areas for fishing due to litter crime etc. yet they are often still full of quality fish. Also maybe i am a little envious at the costs of fishing in other parts of the country compared with the rip off prices often charged here in the south east.

tight lines

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

rourke i was only doing a bit of leg pulling hence the simley. On a serious point i too bemone the way some of our canals have become no go areas for fishing due to litter crime etc. yet they are often still full of quality fish. Also maybe i am a little envious at the costs of fishing in other parts of the country compared with the rip off prices often charged here in the south east.

tight lines

My apologies for going off on one there.

Can I say though you have no need to be envious of the price we pay up here. Except for commercial fisheries which we seem to have a lot of, I have found that there are better quality "natural" fishing in the south and quite often it is worth the extra money to join the clubs. On the other hand though, I don't want to anger any Northern anglers here, I do not have the most extensive knowledge of Northern fisheries or how much it costs to join any other clubs in the region. I'm sure there are some absolutely fantastic clubs and fisheries here as well, I just need to find them.

Anyway, going back to my original post.

Does anyone know who controls, if anybody, the stretch of canal running from the old girobank building up through Ince to Wigan Top Lock. I would like info on prices and any tactical info would be helpful

Guest tigger
Does anyone know who controls, if anybody, the stretch of canal running from the old girobank building up through Ince to Wigan Top Lock. I would like info on prices and any tactical info would be helpful

I think if anyone has it it will be Wigan Anglers. If you want a quiet peacefull water then Island Dam is a quiet syndicate water on the two mile stretch. You can join at the tackle shop in Pemberton (I think 35 notes a year) and the staff are all very helpfull. It's a lovley clean well looked after water with some corkin fish.