Stocking densities

rob39

Hi all

A bit of an off beat question but are there guidelines to the stocking densities fisheries have to abide by for the sake of fish welfare. Read an article once where a fishery stocked 260lb of fish per peg. What does your fishery stock and does it affect catch weights?

Hi all

A bit of an off beat question but are there guidelines to the stocking densities fisheries have to abide by for the sake of fish welfare. Read an article once where a fishery stocked 260lb of fish per peg. What does your fishery stock and does it affect catch weights?

I don't think stocking a water by the number of pegs its got is a very intelligent way of doing it, but it wouldn't surprise me if some did.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I've certainly seen figures quoted (usually per acre I think), but can't remember where. Steve Burke will know I'm sure.

Edit: A very quick Google search and I think the Environment Agency recommend a maximum of 400lbs per acre.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

I don't think stocking a water by the number of pegs its got is a very intelligent way of doing it, but it wouldn't surprise me if some did.

Looking at this thread, lb/peg seems to be a metric of interest to the people who run and fish "commercials". I think it's indicative of an attitude that reflects very badly on that kind of fishing.

Im surprised they can suggest a lb per acre figure. Wouldnt make more sense to make it Xlb per species per acre and allow for future growth & population explosions ?

400lb of tench, bream & silver fish will be different to 400lb of just carp for example.

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Looking at this thread, lb/peg seems to be a metric of interest to the people who run and fish "commercials". I think it's indicative of an attitude that reflects very badly on that kind of fishing.

Like i said Steve, I'm not surprised, but the trouble is i think these kinds of fisheries reflect badly on all of us coarse anglers. Ive enjoyed coarse fishing since i was a young boy but the way some waters are stocked can make it hard for me to defend my own sport.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

If you think commercial lake's stocking densities are high, take a look at most peoples aquariums!

Geoff

The type of comments that are expressed in that thread, make my blood boil.

The activity that goes on at those places might be classed as fishing, but it's certainly not angling.

Then some of the dickheads even complain that the mass of fish attracts plenty of predators! :wallbash:

Was it 'Field of Dreams'? "You build it and they will come".

Stocking at these densities is like providing an artificial 'bait ball', for such as otters, mink, cormorants, grebe etc. What do they expect?

It's an attitude that reflects badly on angling, not only from an 'outsiders' viewpoint, but from that of any thinking angler as well.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I don't really think that "outsiders" care much about stocking levels at all. Most seem to think that the fish are there for (A) to be eaten by Grebes, (B) to provide food for Otters. © provide food for voracious monster pike. which also eat stray donkeys and ducks.

Further more, most of them seem surprised that there are any fish in most lakes.

Having said that, I have to admit to having fished a few grossly overstocked muddy puddles in the past, but also some grossly overcrowded lakes which have never been stocked, but ended up stuffed with hungry fish.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Im surprised they can suggest a lb per acre figure. Wouldnt make more sense to make it Xlb per species per acre and allow for future growth & population explosions ?

400lb of tench, bream & silver fish will be different to 400lb of just carp for example.

Commonsense would also dictate that aquatic plants, shade plants, marginal plants, invertebrate food availability, water quality, predators etc.... would be included in any calculations.

I would also have thought that a volume of water would be of more use than an area when calculating fish numbers. E.g. A one acre pond with an average depth of two feet compared with a one acre pond with an average depth of six feet.

All of the above (and more) are used when calculating suitability for native species re-introductions etc...........hmm, say no more! :rolleyes:

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!