Fishing, sailing and photography . . . ?

Sutton Warrior

As this is essentially an angling site with Photography tagged on these days? I thought this report, that I put up on another sea angling site, of which I am a member, might be of interest?

Obviously the pictures element is for this site. Taken within the confines of the boat Harmony, I used the wide angle of my 18-200VR for the cod picture and the 10mm focal length of my Sigma 10-20, for the sailing shot, which I thought, in view of circumstances and wanting a picture under sail for the owner, turned out well enough? It also follows on from an earlier thread; I am using 'Center Weight' metering almost exclusively these days, to very good effect.

Perhaps I will post a few more of the session that I think might be of interest, composition was a real problem, both in terms of confinement, as was the case with the sail shot, not falling over board, and the sun being almost dead ahead!!!

If you want some more, please indicate within your comments, other wise I won't boar you any further with my sailing exploits :P

5.40 . . am! the late spring cod are calling, engines fired up and Harmony gingerly locks out of Shotley Marina, she is a tight fit with 3 feet per side to spare. A steady steam with the tide had us bearing down on our mark in surpisingly quick time? or is it when you are having fun time passes so quickly? Then a brief look at the bottom, to asses what we have, this was a new mark, recommended to Colin, Harmonies owner by a friend.

Anchor down, and commence some serious fishing, we had unwashed squid, black lug, ragworm and peeler on board. Covering basses with the bait variety, as this time of year, various species could be out there, bass, smoothound, roka, as well as cod. First fish came at 8 o'clock on the dot, I had swapped to my light 12lb Abu Suveran rods for the summer, and what a great fight they offer against the tide and a 9lb cod! I have said it before, The 12lb Suveran blank is awesome, light and sensitive and yet, as the pressure is applied, it steps up to the mark with power in hand as the medium to through action takes hold!!!

First cod, at 9 pounds a good omen, one rod was fishing with crab, the cod came to steady old uw-squid Cod number 2 was Colin's, and thats how it went. Colin boated a 10lb+ fish which caused a bit of celebration, bit like scoring the magic 100 at snooker. In these parts 10lbs+ is a target!!!

1tenpoundcodrwDSC_0942.jpg

Eight cod from 4lb to 10lb+, we had a smattering of other species, a couple of small smoothound, a pout and the tiniest of roka, of course the local dog show was in full swing.

Tide went slack, we decided to wait for the flood tide, gave it an hour, nothing, zilch Colin asked the question, I agreed . . . yes I'd love a cupa, let these baits fish out, if nothing head for home.

1SailhomerwDSC_0976.jpg

We were running with the flood tide, 10-15mph wind blowing from, SSW. Put the sails up and go home in 'style' Well, I have never been under sail before, not on a proper boat, other than a short stint on a Thames barge a couple of years ago. I could get used to the life, with the time required to go with it, lovely.

1FiletsrwDSC_0993.jpg

The results of a very pleasant relaxed days fishing, cod and chips twice please Hazel.

SW