Sailing and wandering about in the menus . . .

Sutton Warrior

Well now . . . I have been and surprised myself!!! :huh: I've been playing 'silly buggers' :P mid morning, not touched a drop of the hard stuff . . . looking at the sailing. Then I came on these two, total by chance the shot was taken at an angle, the camera was playing up!!! actualy finger trouble :rolleyes: But the result was the shots leaning over, I think they get a sence of speed with the mast over like that, despite the horizon falling of the picture as well?

However, the picture as was, was still bland, spice it up with a little adjustment in 'colour curves', down hill from there . . . :clap: one of the style options was 'Solorise'; these are the results after a little trial and error. I am not a fan of unnatural pictures, however, the angle of the boat and the colour combination, the sun ahead and amazing sky colour, in my humble opinion ;):marinheiro: put a zip in to the shots?

1 Original picture with a high (standing) lens position with some basic pp work

1orighighrwDSC_0965.jpg

1a Solorised

1SolorisehighrwDSC_0965.jpg

2 Original picture with a low (grovel :D ) position and some basic pp work

1origlowrwDSC_0962.jpg

2a Solorised

1SloriselowrwDSC_0962.jpg

So finger trouble at the camera end and my wandering about in the computer menu produced interesting results . . . IMHO B) Do you like the strange angle, is the high or low lens position better, does the solorising work for you, do the pictures work at all? . . . agree, disagree? open to you comments.

SW

The sloping horizon I found made me feel a bit queasy!

I like the solarizing effect. It's made a rather ordinary shot very much more dramatic. I'm not one of the hair shirt purist brigade that say you shouldn't fiddle...if you have the technology, then why not use it? I think Hellbelly can show us the way there - I love what he's done with some of his more recent photographs. Such a pity that they are barred from the monthly competition. Perhaps we ought to have another section?

I really don't care what has been done to a picture, so long as the results are pleasing on the eye. In many cases the so called "fiddling" can turn a very ordinary shot into something much more special.

I particularly like the first shot with the sun hiding behind the sail - how about levelling up the horizon and posting them again (without the bit of sail in the top left hand corner of the amended shot).

I've got a crick in my neck trying to visualise it!

Hope that made sense....????

Janet

I like the solarizing effect. It's made a rather ordinary shot very much more dramatic. I'm not one of the hair shirt purist brigade that say you shouldn't fiddle...if you have the technology, then why not use it? I think Hellbelly can show us the way there - I love what he's done with some of his more recent photographs. Such a pity that they are barred from the monthly competition. Perhaps we ought to have another section?

I really don't care what has been done to a picture, so long as the results are pleasing on the eye. In many cases the so called "fiddling" can turn a very ordinary shot into something much more special.

I particularly like the first shot with the sun hiding behind the sail - how about levelling up the horizon and posting them again (without the bit of sail in the top left hand corner of the amended shot).

Janet

Hay Janet, hear what you say, if I try to level it up you loos so much of the photo? Might have another look later? Off to my boat now, see if we can catch a few early season bass on the new flood tide that starts at 3pm?

Note, on the original I had cropped that bit in the corner out. Hard to make much more of the standard picture with out a full fish eye lens or change my initials to 'JC' and walk on water :lol:

I suspect there is a cleaver way to straighten the horizon??? but I have no idea how? Good case for an excuse to go out on another fishing trip to re shoot :whistling:

SW

Janet

Mmm, if its made you feel queasy Janet . . . perhaps it has achieved the objective, 'you are at sea?' . . . "Ooooo, a life on the ocean waves . . . . . "

'Hair shirts' in my book are more into the 'everything manual', use either prime or best quality professional zoom lenses, do things the hard way and big bucks . . . ££££££? I wish. They seem to be quite happy after promoting the 'old fashioned', retro, 'steam operated' way? They are then quite happy to dive into all sorts of modern skulduggery in PhotoShop . . . isn't that a double standard?

I'm happy to get the settings right in the camera, with a minimum of post processing in PS. However, to have a little fiddle some times is fun dont you think . . . :lol: The owner of the boat loved the Solarised pictures.

Only my humble opinion :rolleyes: SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior