A couple of recent tench sessions...

natty

A week ago, I went to a lake I have recently joined for my first session on the lake (Hydneye Lake).

I arrived at the lake just before 9am and set up in a nice looking swim. I fished with two legers, I tried a variety of different hookbaits on the rods (chick peas, corn, 6mm Carp Vader Halibut Crab pellets, 6mm Carp Vader Breamax pellets, luncheon meat and bread flake). I fished them with a PVA bag of mixed Carp Vader pellets, corn and crushed chick peas.

This was my swim:

362538048.jpg

The first couple of hours went by with only a drop back bite on the rod with corn. I unfortunately missed the bite. I then had a decent bite, unfortunately I failed to hook this too. I didn't get anymore action for ages after this despite trying every bait I had and as many different spots as I could.

Just after 6pm, I had a screaming take, I was delighted when i felt tenchy resistance on the end of my line, it put up a good fight for its size and I was relieved when i slid the net under it.

Here it is:

362538542.jpg

As I was rebaiting the rod I had just had the tench on, my other rod screamed off, this one fought even harder and when I first hooked it for a couple of seconds i thought i may have hooked one of the lake's rarely caught carp. The fish turned out to be a tench and was slightly larger than the first one.

Here it is:

362538749.jpg

I couldn't believe it, I didn't catch any fish for around 9 hours, then two come along in 5 minutes. Soemeone else caught a couple in the next swim along and it looked like the tench had suddenly gone on a feeding spell. So I decided to stay on for another hour or so.

I stayed on to 7:30pm, but unfortunately no more bites were forthcoming, I finished with just the two tench, but I was happy with catching a couple, when the lake was fishing were hard and not many tench were coming out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally I had planned on going for a carp session yesterday, but I changed my decision last minute and decided to have another go for some tench on the lake I have recently joined (Hydneye Lake).

I set up in the same swim I fished last time and set up two legers. Hookbaits were either: Luncheon meat, Sweet corn, Chickpea or Carp Vader Breamax 6mm pellets.

During the first hour or so I had a few line bites and a couple of twitchy bites, unfortunately I failed to hook anything on both of the twitchy bites, I reckoned they were probably bream.

20 minutes later, I had another twitchy bite this time on a 6mm Carp Vader Breamax pellet. I was pleased to hook this one and it turned out to be a nice little bream:

363319097.jpg

I caught another bream 15 minutes later and shortly afterwards I landed my first tench of the session:

363319093.jpg

Over the next few hours, I landed another 2 bream and I unfortunately lost a couple of tench - both of which felt alright sizes, thankfully I managed to land my next tench, this little beauty:

363319111.jpg

In the final hour, I lost another tench, this one put up a really good fight and I was totally gutted when it came off, it was certainly the largest one I had hooked so far. However, I did manage to land another bream and another tench.

Here’s the tench (unfortunately he had a split dorsal fin and someone else‘s rig in it‘s mouth, I safely removed the rig and then put on a bit of Nash Medi-Carp on the area the other rig had been in):

363319104.jpg

Overall, I ended the day with 3 tench and 4 bream, which I was fairly pleased with, especially considering the slow start. I was quite gutted to lose 3 tench though - the last tench I lost was certainly the biggest one I have hooked so far on both of my sessions on the lake.

Guest tigger

Nice one Natty, well done on cleanin up the poor tinca :thumbs: . Nice tenchy lookin water that m8.