What kayak?

Houseplant

Having just walked part of the beautiful Southwest Coast Path, my mind is made up on getting a fishing kayak. As a total novice, my primary concern is stability. I'm guessing that kayak choice is personal and subjective, but don't want to end up with a turkey. I'd be grateful for recommendations as to makes/models suitable for inshore fishing.

Thanks

Andrew

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Hi Andrew

Ocean kayaks seem to be very good the prowler 13 and the new trident have a lot of followers, I have a prowler 13 and find it very stable and good when the seas are a wee bit lumpy. The only think I don't like with the Prowler is the small round hatch it is a little bit better than useless as it is only a few inches deep enough to put your car keys in, some have remover the base so they can have access to the hull, the new trident has a centre hatch, but it is more expensive so really it is all down the money. If you can try before you buy, where are you based ??

have sent you a PM

YD

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

i have a cobra fish and dive kayak and its the best one that i have seen for stability and i looked around and done a lot of research before i got mine. im a fit 171/2 stone but i can stand up on mine in the sea on a calm day. your weight is a lot to do with it so best of luck with your choice DAI

thanks. PM replied to. i'm based in exeter.

cheers

andrew

Hi Andrew

Exeter lucky you, there are a few members down there on the <link> I gave you, make your self known and I'm sure someone will let you have a go in theirs before you buy

YD

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi Andrew

Ocean kayaks seem to be very good the prowler 13 and the new trident have a lot of followers, I have a prowler 13 and find it very stable and good when the seas are a wee bit lumpy. The only think I don't like with the Prowler is the small round hatch it is a little bit better than useless as it is only a few inches deep enough to put your car keys in, some have remover the base so they can have access to the hull, the new trident has a centre hatch, but it is more expensive so really it is all down the money. If you can try before you buy, where are you based ??

have sent you a PM

YD

thanks. PM replied to. i'm based in exeter.

cheers

andrew

Andrew - 2nd attempt due to dodgy eyesight/technique!

AS Watersports in Haven Road have a Kayak Fishing come & try day tomorrow - 9th May - All the major brands will be available to try there so it couldn't be more convenient I would imagine.

Mark & Tim from JO UK will be representing Ocean Kayak & Humminbird - to declare my interest - we're happy to be compared with all on show

Andrew

JO UK

Hi

I have just read your post, but I was at AS Watersports today - I think we met!

I tried the Prowler 13 and the Scupper. I preferred the Prowler. My other half preferred the Scupper.

It was good to try them out, thanks.

Andrew

Andrew - 2nd attempt due to dodgy eyesight/technique!

AS Watersports in Haven Road have a Kayak Fishing come & try day tomorrow - 9th May - All the major brands will be available to try there so it couldn't be more convenient I would imagine.

Mark & Tim from JO UK will be representing Ocean Kayak & Humminbird - to declare my interest - we're happy to be compared with all on show

Andrew

JO UK

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire