Selfish swim snafflers and near bank-neglecters

crazynewt

Managed to pinch a couple of hours lure fishing for some pike at my local club lake on Monday but upon arrival could not believe how busy it was! Thought I'd persevere and make use of the swims that were vacant, or should I say "appeared to be vacant"...

The lake sits within the main river and one of its backbrooks and so is long and narrow, and on 3 separate occasions, I was shouted at from the opposite bank and told in no uncertain terms "you can't fish that swim, I've got a bait in it".

What?!

Now I'm no carp angler and maybe because of that I have missed something here but am I alone in thinking that setting up in one swim, and then casting your baits right to the opposite bank and occupying 2 swims for the price of 1 with each rod is just a little bit selfish and furthermore, bloody stupid? These "anglers" seem unable to keep quiet enough to make their own margins worth fishing so seem to think it perfectly alright to monopolise almost the entire lake.

Miffed I was.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? Am I being unreasonable?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing isn't it, don't matter which bank they are on, they always want to fish the other side. Worst case I had was when a bloke turned up after dark on the opposite bank (60 yards away) and cast across. His lead landed in between my rods!. I waited a while, and he suddenly appeared behind me, all prepared to put some freebies in :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Brumagem Phil
Amazing isn't it, don't matter which bank they are on, they always want to fish the other side. Worst case I had was when a bloke turned up after dark on the opposite bank (60 yards away) and cast across. His lead landed in between my rods!. I waited a while, and he suddenly appeared behind me, all prepared to put some freebies in :)

Den

Funnily enough we used to fish the beachcaster in the dark at arrow valley in redditch. Its 60 odd acres and this fellah, his wife and two lads carted his gear and 3 cases of beer to a swim directly opposite us. Now we use

2 million candle power torches just to check the bait is set right on the surface but this guy used a good few choice phrases when I first set my bait...........what he didnt realise was all 3 of us had such torches and we lit him up light daylight and asked him over to discuss the matter. Needless to say he setted down to his beer. :D

It seems many anglers have this idea that their day isnt complete unless they 'land' one or two other anglers as well as their fish.

I'm happy now with my sea fishing as unless someone has an 11 mile cast they aint gonna trouble me! :)

When lure fishing, I've had the problem of 'Oi! I've got a bait there!' shouted across the lake on numerous occasions.

And from the fan-casters one or two swims or more either side of me!

Early one morning I arrived at Johnson's Lake, checked the ajoining swims were empty and cast a lure a short distance into swim in front of me.

As I started to retrieve, the buzzers started to go off! :)

I melted away as the sounds of people waking and stumbling towards their rod-pods disturbed the quietness and peace of a breaking dawn.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

yes......... one of my club lakes, that is about 1.5acres in size and that holds a mix of roach, rudd, loads of crucians, few big bream and a few carp which do go up to 15lb but are few and far between!! anyway i went down to have a spot of general sport and started to set up three swims down from this young lad who had his pod set up!! he came over and said will he want me to move his bait from this swim, which i obviously said YES!!

Im not too sure if it was the fact he was fishing that wide from his swim or the fact he was fishing 20lb mono with a size 8 hook with a single grain of 'fake' corn hooked on!! Seemingly some of these 'carpers' just don't have a clue!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

if someone is cheeky enough to say you cant fish a vacant swim i think its only fair that you can be cheeky enough to say i am here now you best stop pouching in my swim.

trouble is most people let them get away with it and move on so they think its acceptable

I think its to do with the "experts" in magazines that get the new people in the sport off to a bad start.

If you read them, most are talking about casting to the horizon and how to do it accurately.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

And with four rods out one angler can, and often does tie up a great deal of water-space. I have seen anglers cast either side of themselves, forty to sixty yards meaning they bar other anglers from a hundred yards and more of one bank, then they cast to the other!

Got to agree with you there Peter. It was a bad day when clubs started to allow 3 or 4 rods.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

it make me laugh about this need to fish at distance. apart from a few waters that may have very shallow water that extends out into the lake, most fish hug the margins or marginal shelf and casting a long way is rarely needed. Also it means that you don't need extra strong carp roads to be able to cast a four ounce lead a hundred yards. Also if you cast in close you can feed much more accurately than if you cast long and you don't need to use expensive PVA bags as a underhand lob with a handful of pellets puts the free offerings round your hook bait. plus you are not tying up half the lake and it is a much more respectful way to fish with regards to fellow anglers.

i agree its the carp comics that encourage this long casting nonsense i believe.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/