carp as pike bait?

phil dean

Crucians are a good bait DG as are all carp but they still sufer from being lazy in real cold water.As said need to be worked.As you say ask ET.They are also very easy to transport due to needing very little Disolved Oxygen, once again ask........... :D:D:D

Despite not personally agreeing with the rules and reasoning behind them ref transporting livebaits I would once again have to reccomend people not using carp baits obtained through the ornemental trade as disease is rife.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GlennB:

I hear that freshly minced barbel paste makes a fine carp bait.

Anyone tried it?  

I have, mate, but nothing beats pike mince - although set-line-caught zander runs it close. I get mine from some old bloke who Anglers Mail did a 'Gotcha!' on a few weeks back. He reckons he's a bit of an eco warrior. Fair play to 'im, I say.

Terry :D:D:D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Gareth.:

The ultimate would be a forty pound carp, with a plug in tow behind it. When an exausted carp floats to the surface you know there will be a pike neatly self hooked just behind it    

quote:

Peter,

Wouldn't that be trolling under power?

Never thought of it that way! They do go nice and slow, lethargic by piking standards really, but that's carp for you. Suppose we might have to 'Trev' the motor up!!

[ 24. April 2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Crucians are a good bait DG as are all carp but they still sufer from being lazy in real cold water.

Well, in my experience ... oooops ... I have heard it said that crucians* are the most active and long-lasting live-baits Other carp may be crêpe, but I wouldn't know.

A nice 2 lb roach* or rudd*, though ...well ....

DG

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Crucians are also very easy to transport due to needing very little Dissolved Oxygen

Yup, you can even transport them under your cap or hat .. 'til you're past the bailiff

DG

* all caught and used on the same day at the same venue, of course

[ 24. April 2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Dear Chaps,

And there's me thinking that you pike wranglers knew all there was to know about fishing for stupid fish!!

Everyone knows that the best live baits for pike are other stupid pike?? Buller swore by them. And at them probably!!

"2lb pike catch 6lb pike. 6lb pike catch 10lb pike. 10lb pike catch 18lb pike. 18lb pike catch 25lb pike. 25lb pike catch 35lb pike. 35lb pike catch 50lb pike. 50lb pike catch really big pike. AND; really big pike catch Trent catfish that are growing at an alarming rate. One old lady last week had her poodle, greyhound, boxer dog, Alsatian; grand daughters pony, shopping trolley, husband in wheelchair, fiat uno, and nearby landing stage swallowed up whole when a Trent cat launched itself on the bank as she fed bread to passing ducks. The EA who are now as I write out in boats along the river looking for survivors said they are not hopeful of finding anything left alive. Old lady still in shock however said she's not bothered about getting husband back but would quite like to see the dogs again.

Regards,

Lee.

Out the trees and on our way.

Wordbender:

Now, can we desist from this contrary beastliness - my bivvy telly won't watchitself, you know.   :rolleyes:  

Terry   :D  

Terry, you have me worried. Very clearly you are very heavily into T.V's :D:D:D in your little tent!