carp as pike bait?

phil dean

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Macfarlane:

I heard that if you cut the fins off a Carp, it won't actually die from the injuries.  

Better still, remove its brain - then it would be a fair contest between it and a pike angler.

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Peter Waller:

Must get my thinking cap on!

Why would a PIKER need a thinking cap, Peter? Unless he's working his way toward carping, of course. :D:D

Terry

Newt:

Carp here for bait too but for catfish.  A big flathead cruising the shallows of an evening enjoys a nice snack and 2-4 lbs seems to be the preferred size.

I don't see them as so good for pike though.  Musky maybe but pike seem to like a more slender shape.

As a comment on how things have changed over the past several years though - Phil, think what the reaction would have been not so long ago.    :D       :D  

I can still remember getting blasted when I was new to all this UK stuff and didn't even know the live bait question was a question and that my preferred way of hooking a live bait ... well it wasn't too well received, shall we say.      

Amazing isn't it Newt, and some of the people having a laugh on this thread are the same guys who'd have gone off it in the past, this site's been damn useful for alot of us, if only teaching us to be tolerant of others and to consider things before diving in.......yeah, that pretty much sums up why I still come on....and for the chance to email my friends. Two pages of people baiting each other........fantastic.

btw, I followed your advice and hooked my tuna bait (I don't know the species, some sort of small jack I guess) through the head between the eyes and had far more success than the others as my bait stayed alive longer. That's how the locals do it in barbados, they must have been on here too!!!!

[ 25. April 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: phil dean ]

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Wordbender:

Wordbender:

I heard that if you cut the fins off a Carp, it won't actually die from the injuries.  

Better still, remove its brain - then it would be a fair contest between it and a pike angler.

What brain?

It'll soon be the 'top your freezer up' season folks!!

Spring is here, whoopee. Best time of the year to use a floating plug! But why use a plug when you can use a naturel bait?

No need to catch 'em either, visit your local pressured carp lake on a hot day. There you'll soon find some nice naturelly floating carp, really obese ones too, fit to burst, really bloated. Popularly known as 'bloater floaters'. Best ones are those fed on 'red robin', they leave a nice red trail on the retrieve. Just remove the self-hooking rigs and leads before use though, don't want a valuable pike to swallow that lot. The leads also upset the naturel action of the retrieve.

As Phil said, AN posters are a tollerant lot! They need to be. Death threats would have appeared on other forums by now.

Peter Waller:

As Phil said, AN posters are a tollerant lot! They need to be. Death threats would have appeared on other forums by now.

You mean you didn't get the ones I sent you, Peter?

Oh well, that probably means that the effigy isn't working, either. What a waste of an Action Man, hatpins and a Norwich City shirt. :(

There was an unusual patrin outside the front gate this morning, right next to a pile of horse muck.

Even the cat is looking less than excited about going outside for its daily constitutional, and one of my chickens has died.

Also a slightly acrid smell in the air, sulphur perhaps, and there was an adder through the letter box.

An uncannily quiet day, like just before a storm, not even a chatter of a song thrush.

P.S. Action Man is small, Canary shirts are BIG!!

Peter Waller:

Action Man is small, Canary shirts are BIG!!

They ain't that big once they've been boiled in oil and set alight a few times.

Looks like I might have to escalate things a bit. Must have a word with Mummy about spells and curses an' that.

You'm gittin' poggered, Mush - 'at you is!

Thats fightin' talk Terry. No one breaks this man :rolleyes:

Its not your Mum that I'm afeared of, it's that old hare dog of yours that worries me. Faster than my old Shuck .

[ 26. April 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]