carp as pike bait?

phil dean

carp for live bait, I see it regularly in Estonia, unfortunately the locals are a bit backward, they rig them on a rusty old treble attatched to something that looks like piano wire, all tied onto an empty coke bottle. They launch about 6 of these at a time up and down the lake and bugger off to work. Then look puzzled when they return to find all their nasty floating traps have disappeared. I hope they dont find them in my bin or I'll get lynched.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As fellow conservationists, do any of you lot fancy a panda cub or two ?

Honestly, they`re supposed to be difficult to breed, but I`ve had to drown four of the unwanted little buggers since Christmas.

Get `em while they`re still warm !

How would you rig them? And wouldn't they be better for sea fishing?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ah cutting the fins off carp used as bait...reccomended if I remember correctly by one of Carpings most famous sons! Talking about lack of brain cells this same guy couldnt understand why the snakes he was trying to use as bait in Russia kept dying!AND he has caught plenty of Carp :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not a well known barbel angler and writer per chance Budgie?

I've since been told that digging up cairns around several noted carp water will inevitably produce some really pungeant deads! As a bonus you will often aquire a shroud in the form of a national flag that, once washed, can be used at many international sporting events.

teebee:

As fellow conservationists, do any of you lot fancy a panda cub or two ?

Honestly, they`re supposed to be difficult to breed, but I`ve had to drown four of the unwanted little buggers since Christmas.

Get `em while they`re still warm !

Not pandering to the politically correct brigade then TeeBee?

Sorry, been away, missed this topic...

Carp are brilliant baits. Crucians not so good in cold weather, though. King carp better.

Carpers shouldn't complain about carp being used as livebaits. It's escapee livebaits that created some of the best "unstocked" carp fishing in the country. For example, those big carp that now live in certain Fen drains.

Talk of trimming fins off livebaits isn't anything new. That particular barbaric practice was carried out years ago when pikersw first started used rainbow trout as livebaits (it stops them swimming up and tangling paternoster rigs.

Anyway, changing the subject only slightly, wouldn't it be wonderful if tackle dealers or fishery owners could sell certified disease-free little carp as livebaits to pike anglers? As long as they didn't use them in the Lake District or Scotland, of course...

Easier to use lures, though.

Fenboy