carp as pike bait?

phil dean

Most usual fish sold for bait is probably the Common shiner (Luxilus cornutus).

Most places have no rules against trapping or netting your own bait as long as you avoid certain species or release any you accidentally trap but easier for most folks to just buy a dozen or two or five shiners.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Peter but I best not mention his name as he has a penchant for litigation! If I remember corrctly you cant get his name up on this forum any way!

Hi Fenboy good to se you back again.A lot of the waters down here do sell live baits both carp and trout.Trouble is of course that most pikers are too tight to pay the high prices they ask for what are usualy pretty poor quality baits.Would be good if it was done properly though.I for one would gladly pay a few bob more for good baits and losing the hastle of obtaining,keeping.transporting and of course breaking the law (wether I agree with its reasoning or not)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

No Peter but I best not mention his name as he has a penchant for litigation! If I remember corrctly you cant get his name up on this forum any way!

How frustrating! I shall now have to spend all day tapping in names to see which one doesn't come up! Go on , give us a clue!! Two names immediately spring to mind at the mention of litigation, both have been known use the threat of litigation on the net, when they start to loose an arguement. One, a commercial piker who doesn't, alegedly, fly fish for sea-pike, although he has told me otherwise, and the other a well known barbel angler and riverside land owner. Both are seemingly very nice people, until you upset them, both post on AN!! But I don't think either are sons of carpers :confused: :confused: .

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

best not mention his name as he has a penchant for litigation!

I like litigation but it's no fun for Elton. Still, if anything you write is independently verifiable as the thruth, then there's no problem.... but still best to do what you say. Us cognoscenti know exactly who you mean!

quote:

If I remember correctly you can't get his name up on this forum any way!

Hmmh ... that must mean that it contains an expletive, or that he is one, alledgedly :D

[ 30. April 2004, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

If I remember correctly you can't get his name up on this forum any way!

Hmmh ... that must mean that it contains an expletive, or that he is one, alledgedly :D [/QB]

Now I am confused!

Play nicely with the other children, or we'll burn your rods!!!!

No name calling please unless it's someone prepared to fight their own corner, in which case I would suggest that we continue!!!!

Budgie, are there are freshwater venues near gerona that you've ever looked at, I'll be there next week, I heard of one lake where they have a "freshwater shark" which is apparently a predetory carp, anyone heard of them??

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Small carp are regularly used as livebait in Australia to catch yellowbellys and Murray cod and other predatory freshwater fish.They also make good Yabbie bait.

Decent sized ones are used in the sea at the mouth of rivers to catch Mulloway.

When they get too big they are useful as Fertiliser.

Waste not want not.

DF

Well, lets see which one gets deleted! Not that I'm that familiar with the leading lights of the carp circus!

Julian Cuniffe, umm, watch the spelling!

Derek Ritchie, naa, he's a nice bloke!

Chris Ball, they'll never delete 'ball' surely?

Dave Phillips, he's partially pike so he's okay!

Kevin Maddox, living near a sea-port I can swear with the best of them and Maddox isn't an expletive, is it? Soon find out!

Come to think of it, I don't know many carp stars!

How about *** ********, will give that a try as well!

Well, lets see who is auto censored then!! Send :D:D:D !

So now I know!

[ 30. April 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

quote:

When they get too big they are useful as Fertiliser.

So for "her-Indoors" patch of hardy, and half hardy annuals. Would you recommend one or two 20lb commons/mirrors to 10 sq/metres of flower boarder.

Or would you be more liberal with the fertiliser......Say a couple of 30's or 40's.

Gareth

I actually fish for carp.The point being that different fish have different values depending on where you are.

In Australia Carp are considered vermin or 'Noxious fish'in some states and have to be killed by law.

Same as Pike being considered a delicacy in France. Or Bream a 'nuisance' on some carp waters.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Best wishes

DF