AN Photo area/comps

Steve Randles

First of all a little about me, my situation means that I cannot always be here as I would like to be. I try to visit as often as I can and keep up with whats going on but for a week or so I have not been able to. I've also been "sitting back" to respect the loss of MrWiggly. It just would not have been right to stomp in here and to start changing too many things from when this area was first started by myself and then taken over by MrWiggly and matured under his tender care. For these reasons I have done very little.

Comps:

It was necessary (IMO) to change how these where run and collated as the previous method was quite labour intensive. The new method needs some edits and a sticky thread so that folk know where to go to enter and how to use it once there. Its fairly straighforward to use but I will make a sticky topic complete with screenshots etc that will clarify and simplfy everything...its also time to unstick some of the older topics started by myself and/or MrWiggly.

With regards to the new "forum" as has been mentioned..its not a forum but a gallery and should be considered an extention of Anglers Net. Registering is necessary if we are to keep the usual filth and junk of the world wide web at bay. A while ago one person did openly state on the forums that life was too short to register at another place, and in all reality it must be incredibly short if you cannot write simply a name, passowrd and email address to register and then use the new area..short life indeed!

Now consider the Photo comps "Roll of Honour" here http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Photo-C...our-t57270.html where past winners are displayed...can you see all the empty spaces where members have deleted shots? This will not happen at the new space as regular backups are kept. Bringing the comp back to the forum is optional if that what the members want but someone would have to pick up the torch and be prepared to put in some time and effort to keep it running in a format they choose.

As I said I have been waiting a while out of respect for Danny and I will start to make a few changes this week to help simplify things a little, if the general opinion here is to go back to how it was done it will require someone to volunteer to Elton and I'll happily step aside.

On the flipside if we continue with this new format then yes I will need some help from a couple of people at the gallery. 95% of the tasks are automated there due to the way I have set up the gallery and the php code I have written to ensure it works. What it means is that for example voting results are automatically produced and someone just needs to copy and paste a certain page to a new topic here at AN....thats how simple I have made things...no counting checking or double checking or huge time involved actions. So pm me if your interested in helping run things and it can be done without having to involve the AN admin team.

Anyting else to discuss?

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

G-day Steve. Great to hear from you felle :D . I know I've been winging a bit of late but as I've mentioned in other threads, I do realise that you are hmm, time poor. I appreciate that you didnt want to stomp in too, thats very considerate of you. But you da man now and I think that everyone is well please that you stepped up to take this on again. I'd love to help but I'm also quite time poor (I know I seem to spend a lot of time on here sometimes but when you work 10 to 12 hours days it's hard to squeeze everything in).

Anyway, as I said. Great to hear from you and great to hear that things are going to get cleaned up a little too.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

as i have said before the comp itself is spot on, if you do make it a sticky on this forum then i think my doubts will be resolved and once again everybody will have easy access.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

All been said, :thumbs: just mark the topic 'AN Photo Competition, May 09', the regulars know where and how, but it helps the casual interest. Nothing wrong with the occasional register, we all do it on all sorts of Webb issues, fleeBay is classic!

As for help Steve, my name has been mentioned :mellow: as has been the expressions 'time poor' and 10-12 hour working a day. . . Thats besides my poor grasp of computer button pressing due to not being the sharpest knife in the draw in some areas. I'm a follower . . . even have to be dragged kicking and screaming sometimes, no,no,no.

SW

I certainly wouldn't like it to go back to the old method of posting on this forum. When I had slow connection speeds it used to take what seemed like forever to download the pictures, and as Steve rightly says, many pictures have since been deleted.

It's so much easier with the new gallery, and if people can't be bothered to spend just a couple of minutes registering, then that's a shame. I don't lke the method of having to upload pictures to a hosting site and then cut and paste links etc - it's just too much faffing around for me. Uploading images to the gallery was an absolute doddle - even I found it easy! It's also much easier to view pictures there, and make specific comments that don't get lost as they do on a long thread.

The only improvement I can see that we need is just to make sure that the link to the monthly comp is where it can be easily found - the regulars will go looking for it, but casual users may miss it.

Apart from that, nice to hear from you again Steve, and I look forward to whatever improvements you may have in store for us!

Janet