I'm going STROBIST!

Hellbelly

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a whole heap of stuff thats been devoloped from things that were intended to do other things. Dont mean they're wrong though :bleh: . But, its all down to taste as has been said.

I think there's only one example that could be classes in that group SW. The others would be un touched in that department. They're all about getting light on the subject.

As you say mate, all down to personal taste, to that end, its how I see things in my mind . . . I have my feet firmly 99.9% in the 'old farts' natural look camp . . . but you have your style and "direction", go for it, there are artist who were poo-hoed, these days their work fetches millions. I will never be a millionaire thats for sure :rolleyes::lol:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Hi HB

Strobist is probably my favourite photo site. I have been gleaning tips from it for a couple of years.

It's much more concerned with creating a great shot, rather than just taking one.

Incidentally, JoeyL is a guru for Strobists around the world. It was on their site that I came across his work.

Looks like I wasn't far out with this post after all. http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Lucisar...in-t665742.html :thumbs:

Cheers Sharkbyte. I've had a look at his work and its awesome. I've been having a bit of a look at the Strobist site for a few days now and love it too. I think I'm going to be living there for the next little while.

Whoot whoot, I got home tonight and there they are!! My two little 430EXII flash's. Had a little play (stopped and got batteries on the way home) and they work a treat. Now I just gotta do a heap of reading, watching tutorials and playing around with them. i'll be ordering an umbrella kit this week too. Comes with two umbrella's. Both have black peal off backing so you can shoot in to them or peal off the black and shoot thru. I get two stands and two mounting brackets too. i'll also be getting a sort of test out gel kit and a few different coloured defusers for the flash heads too. Wow, I'm excited.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

Apologies to Steve about the not liking HDR. Those shots are terrific. Its this comment that makes me smile though.

There's a whole heap of stuff thats been devoloped from things that were intended to do other things. Dont mean they're wrong though :bleh: . But, its all down to taste as has been said.

Dont get me wrong, I like some of the arty stuff...I just prefer to stick to Photography, thats my hobby. I can post process most Photos into most things if I want to and constantly test and try things in and around Photoshop..I earn money doing so too. But for my own photos I just want them to be what I saw through the viewfinder, for the most part.

Here are 2 more HDR's of mine to illustrate what I mean.

was6.jpg

was10.jpg

The first is overstaurated for me although I admit it makes a pleasing image (note I said image not photo ;) ), the second is borderline for me and if I re-processed it now..I would do it differently.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Dont get me wrong, I like some of the arty stuff...I just prefer to stick to Photography, thats my hobby. I can post process most Photos into most things if I want to and constantly test and try things in and around Photoshop..I earn money doing so too. But for my own photos I just want them to be what I saw through the viewfinder, for the most part.

Here are 2 more HDR's of mine to illustrate what I mean.

was6.jpg

was10.jpg

The first is overstaurated for me although I admit it makes a pleasing image (note I said image not photo ;) ), the second is borderline for me and if I re-processed it now..I would do it differently.

'Image', thats the word Steve, 'Computer Art Image', perfect description. Its great, if you like that sort of thing, but does it last in the mind . . . ?

SW

Maybe I'm just not artistic enough or maybe it's that I'm just to old but I have to agree with Cliff (SW). :headhurt:

As I said in a previous thread I believe in Photography not Computerogaphy. :camera:

This is just my personal opinion which is of course something we are entitled to in other words whatever floats your boat. :yeah:

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

'Image', thats the word Steve, 'Computer Art Image', perfect description. Its great, if you like that sort of thing, but does it last in the mind . . . ?

SW

Are you serious? You really think that just because its had a lot of post processing that it can be a shot that sticks in you mind? I've had a heap of people comment on this pic. And guys at work will mention it every now and again even though they saw it a few weeks ago. I'd even say that this is MORE likely to stick in the mind.

3447632044_983e8cc64c_o.jpg

As I said in a previous thread I believe in Photography not Computerogaphy. :camera:

You guys are so funny. I bet you've never put a faster motor in a car, extra compost on your garden or even sugar in ya coffee then.... :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

Are you serious? You really think that just because its had a lot of post processing that it can be a shot that sticks in you mind? I've had a heap of people comment on this pic. And guys at work will mention it every now and again even though they saw it a few weeks ago. I'd even say that this is MORE likely to stick in the mind.

3447632044_983e8cc64c_o.jpg

You guys are so funny. I bet you've never put a faster motor in a car, extra compost on your garden or even sugar in ya coffee then.... :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Mick.

Hey your soooooooo right. My car will do 140 and the max speed limit is 70mph so don't need to put a bigger engine in it. My wife is the gardener in our family so I don't need to use compost and my Mrs. thinks I'm sweet enough so I have never found the need to use sugar. :rolleyes::D

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Mick.

Au contraire, I've bored out my own blocks, stripped engines and bolted every imaginable part onto a car for speed and handling issues. I have a three bay composting system and make leaf mould for soil improvement..I even use a shredder to make mulch for the garden. I grind my own coffee too...but I think we are getting far and away from the point here.

Your image above is striking to say the least, but its a taste issue - some will love it others will hate it. Personally, I cant accept it is a photograph although once it was one, its now a striking image and in that sense it works very well...there is no denying that.

Manipulating photos has gone on for many years before digital, but with the advent of digital, accessibility for all has improved. Once you just sent your film away to the lab (unless you had your own darkroom equipment), now everyone cant edit their own photos as they see fit, they dont need expensive enlargers or smelly chemical baths..many free programs online to create that materpiece.

Your obviously enjoying what your doing Mick and long may that continue, I think you have to accept that some will not like it, and by contrast others will absolutely adore it. The extra flashes you have bought are not wasted money, along with the extra gear you intend to buy you have the startings of a studio setup so its all good and is not wasted. Continue to enjoy what you do and as I said earlier in this topic, I look forward to seeing the results and I do mean that. Who knows, you may even convert me yet..I have an open mind about these things but for the moment I do want my photos to remain as photos..and by that I mean a record of what I saw through the viewfinder the day I pressed the shutter button.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet