What makes a really good angler?

Kappa

For what it's worth, I agree with Poledark here, and would add that people who have the ability to interpret what they observe and effectively 'think' like fish seem to catch not only more fish, but bigger fish too.

At risk of sounding like a hero-worshipper, a couple of hours spent with Leon and Steve Burke mullet fishing in Chatham where the thought processes were flowing framed my mentality as a then 'novice' angler.

Subsequently, I've realised that on gravel pits and rivers, a grasp of watercraft puts people on the route to success with more regularity than those who adopt the chuck it out and hope mentality.

My regular fishing oppo Ken fishes float, feeder and 13m pole on canals in the main and always seems to catch when others blank. He uses subtlety, presentation and knowledge of the waters in combination....but what really sets him, Leon and Steve apart for me is that they are so generous with their time and knowledge to help other who want to learn about angling.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger

Obviously watercraft is good but at the end of the day luck has a bigger part to play than most people seem to think. If the fish ain't hungry no matter what method/rig you use then your wasting your time. Some days you strike lucky and everything falls into place and your catching fish.....you just feel on form, then other days nothing seems to go right catching bugger all and you feel pot. It's bit of everything but you still need luck on your side!

EFFORT! - to learn,then go and apply what you learn. Simple as that! No magic ingredient.......and lack of doing such is why I will never be a realy good angler.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Obviously watercraft is good but at the end of the day luck has a bigger part to play than most people seem to think. If the fish ain't hungry no matter what method/rig you use then your wasting your time. Some days you strike lucky and everything falls into place and your catching fish.....you just feel on form, then other days nothing seems to go right catching bugger all and you feel pot. It's bit of everything but you still need luck on your side!

Ah, but if one species isn't feeding you can use your accumulated knowledge and watercraft, choose another species and adapt your fishing accordingly, and go on to have a good day.

Not many people seem to do this these days - they set out to catch their favourite species ignoring all the signs that they're wasting their time.

Although I agree that luck is still a big part of fishing!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I agree with what Anderoo says about selection of target species to suit conditions.

Luck will always be a part of anything but I reckon that good skills and knowledge will in the long run prove the better weapon!

To answer the origonal question (its been answered both what is a good angler and what makes a good angler) I would like to say that IMO a good angler is one who is consistant be he a matchman or specimen hunter.That ties in with my first comments re luck! No one can be lucky all of the time.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree with what Anderoo says about selection of target species to suit conditions.

For example, this weekend, I will be targetting eels and pike.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger

I might target ghost tench or should that be Ghost carp..... :rolleyes:

Edited by tigger