What makes a really good angler?

Kappa

I would say it's a combination of instinct, adaptability, and effort.

Instinct is often overlooked but sometimes there's no other way of determining why an angler fished a certain spot or fished in a certain way. Watercraft comes under this.

Adaptability is the main one for me. Under this comes the whole wealth of experience from fishing lots of methods for lots of species in lots of conditions, meaning an angler can adapt to situations. Long hours/years on the bank - there's no beating it and no shortcut. After a while it becomes instinct. Good anglers are always thinking and drawing on experience.

Effort comes into it too. You have to actually go fishing and try new things. Some will work, some won't, and lots of effort will result in no actual fish, but it all feeds into adaptability. Also under this comes the practical skills like casting accurately, which is learned by effort.

Perfect answer.

Tim

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quote from "Match Fishing" by Dave King.........."If you aren't catching, then change something. Move a shot, add a shot, lengthen the hook tail. Do something, don't just sit there"

Maybe not the actual words, but you get the drift (I hope) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

A quote from "Match Fishing" by Dave King.........."If you aren't catching, then change something. Move a shot, add a shot, lengthen the hook tail. Do something, don't just sit there"

Maybe not the actual words, but you get the drift (I hope) :)

Den

And for a none match angler you can always move, thats if you haven't set up home.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest tigger
And for a none match angler you can always move, thats if you haven't set up home.

Hey Brian, I think what ever makes a really good angler you've got it m8 you never seem to fail. I'm hopin a bit will rub off on me lol. I think Dave must be classed as havin "what makes a really good angler" also with all those species under his belt. I think you should forget makin reels out of tins though, floats are good but your goin over the top there with tin can reels. I reckon your turnin into a freegan :mellow:

Not wanting to sound unsociable, I think a good angler has to be something of a loner most of the time.

i would have to agree with that,when your by yourself you got no distractions,you can sit and read the water,think for yourself and make it happen.

in my oppinion a good angler would be someone who can catch good sized specimen fish of every coarse fish,for example matt hayes,he is a very good angler an sets a good example to all anglers.

Militantly chasing specimen fish, or pound notes for that matter, in the UK or anywhere else in the world doesn’t make a great angler in my book. The greatest anglers are those with a aptitude for catching fish of any size, I’ve met a few, and there neither famous or use the best tackle, and my god they’d catch fish out of a puddle given the chance.

Not wanting to sound unsociable, I think a good angler has to be something of a loner most of the time.

Well sort of and I think I know what you mean. I think you have to be able to enjoy solitude. I think you also fish harder/better/probably more successfully on your own.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...