New River Season a Month Away

Waveney One

And I for one can't wait - but it doesn't hold the same thrill for me that it used to. In the days of the old closed season, by now my tackle box would all spick and span. Hooks would have been tied, reels oiled with new line on, groundbait cleaned off rod handles that would have been washed down and if necessary even had a little rubbing down with a piece of very fine sand paper. Floats would have been made and old ones would have been checked over for cracks and splits. New pole rigs would have been tied and all the old ones stripped down and retied with new line. I would have been sea fishing and trout fishing - not a great deal as it was expensive but I would have gone. I might even have got around to doing a bit of decorating at home.

I would by now be spending time walking around the local lakes, pits and rivers looking for potential swims that I missed the previous 2,000 times I walked around fish spotting. Anticipation would be high and I might even start becoming a little tetchy!

Now, none of these things have happened, I have rigs in my dirty and grubby tackle box that are at least 8 years old as they were tied specifically for the last Div 1 National that I fished. The rod handles are caked with groundbait that probably if you got down to the bottom layer would be 5 or 6 years old! I haven't spent 1 minute fish spotting as I am too busy match fishing. I haven't been trout or sea fishing since February. My wife is complaining that the grass looks too long and as for decorating, well she has to do that when I am out fishing!

I used to really enjoy the anticipation of the new season. I miss the break and tackle shops don't sell coarse anglers the sea fishing and trout fishing gear that they used to. We have a generation of anglers that have never used a float or any other form of bite indication other than a buzzer.

What have we allowed ourselves to be talked into!! And all in the name of profit for commercial fishery owners!

Rant over.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I for one can't wait - but it doesn't hold the same thrill for me that it used to. In the days of the old closed season, by now my tackle box would all spick and span. Hooks would have been tied, reels oiled with new line on, groundbait cleaned off rod handles that would have been washed down and if necessary even had a little rubbing down with a piece of very fine sand paper. Floats would have been made and old ones would have been checked over for cracks and splits. New pole rigs would have been tied and all the old ones stripped down and retied with new line. I would have been sea fishing and trout fishing - not a great deal as it was expensive but I would have gone. I might even have got around to doing a bit of decorating at home.

I would by now be spending time walking around the local lakes, pits and rivers looking for potential swims that I missed the previous 2,000 times I walked around fish spotting. Anticipation would be high and I might even start becoming a little tetchy!

Now, none of these things have happened, I have rigs in my dirty and grubby tackle box that are at least 8 years old as they were tied specifically for the last Div 1 National that I fished. The rod handles are caked with groundbait that probably if you got down to the bottom layer would be 5 or 6 years old! I haven't spent 1 minute fish spotting as I am too busy match fishing. I haven't been trout or sea fishing since February. My wife is complaining that the grass looks too long and as for decorating, well she has to do that when I am out fishing!

I used to really enjoy the anticipation of the new season. I miss the break and tackle shops don't sell coarse anglers the sea fishing and trout fishing gear that they used to. We have a generation of anglers that have never used a float or any other form of bite indication other than a buzzer.

What have we allowed ourselves to be talked into!! And all in the name of profit for commercial fishery owners!

Rant over.

Waveney, isn't that the price you pay for fishing competitively?

Far be it from me to point out that river matches are really peggy and luck of the draw more than skill would appear to determine a result there. Commercials for matches aren't perfect and those which try to ensure fairness are circular holes in the ground.

My way has always been to vote with my feet.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Waveney, isn't that the price you pay for fishing competitively?

My way has always been to vote with my feet.

I think that you missed the point Alan. I haven't a problem with commercial fisheries per se, just that it was largely pressure from them and stupidly enough, the tackle trade and anglers, that got the close season lifted on lakes and canals.

I wasn't referring to matches at all, most commercials probably see more pleasure anglers than matchmen who restrict their visits to maybe 2 or 3 days a week whereas they are open 7 days a week. What I was meaning is that because of the demise of the close season, all the jobs I normally get done are now no longer done at all!

Worse, I have lost the anticipation leading up to June 16th that I used to have. I couldn't sleep for a few nights leading up to the great day.

You could say that 'Why not impose your own close season?' a good question and to be honest at first I tried to. I have only visited commercials for a few years, preferring to stick to rivers and traditional species. Trouble is I have no self control when it comes to fishing! I just can't get enough of it. That is why I took up fly fishing and trout fishing in the first place, just to get out fishing during the close season. I have travelled to the ROI and Holland to fish, to Lincolnshire when they abolished it but we hadn't down here in Suffolk. I am a junky when it comes to fishing. It was like like banging your head on a wall for 3 months, not enjoyable at all but knowing that eventually relief would come and you ould go fishing and no one could stop you. I even got my sister to change her wedding day from the 16th June to 23rd!!

i cant wait for the river to open,i still find the 16th june an exciting date because it means i can get down the river,the best place to fish in my opinion.

i know what your saying about the old closed season but for me the river beats any other place and i cant wait to get down there.

i cant wait for the river to open,i still find the 16th june an exciting date because it means i can get down the river,the best place to fish in my opinion.

i know what your saying about the old closed season but for me the river beats any other place and i cant wait to get down there.

seconded :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I joined a lake to fish for Tench in the close just haven`t been able to get round to it as i have been fish spotting from the boat and pre baiting a few spots where we are going to moor the new one in anticipation of the 16th Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Thirdeded

I've been out twice since the end of last season but both sessions have been short and a bit half hearted. No matter, I have this to play with until the 16th (sorry I know it's not fishing related bit it's such a good laugh).

IMG_3293.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thirdeded

I've been out twice since the end of last season but both sessions have been short and a bit half hearted. No matter, I have this to play with until the 16th (sorry I know it's not fishing related bit it's such a good laugh).

IMG_3293.jpg

nice bike rusty,that is mint!

Thirdeded

IMG_3293.jpg

This is starting to become a bit of a theme (see HOW MUCH thread!)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!