Times they are a changing . . .

Sutton Warrior

I'm reading other web sights and getting the idea that the compact market is catching up? Catching up with what? My feeling is DSLR's, not the hair shirt, anorak, enthusiast 3lbs hanging around the neck type, they will never change, they are hobbyist of the first order, and more power to their elbow. No, I feel the likes of people like me . . . I love my photography, but get very fed up with the ball and chain hanging around the neck, I go for a walk, to spend some quality time with my partner and our dog. I include my photography as part of my life, it is not my life.

Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Richo, have come up with cameras that take pictures, in quality terms, of the first order. Flexibility of the DSLR is reduced, a problem? how many DSLR owners state with pride! ABC's 50mm lens is a permanent fixture to my, super-duper, wiz-bang, overpriced 2lb brick hung around my neck . . . the over priced brick bit is never admitted to admittedly. I have to admit to being in the over priced brick lobby. Have always played with compacts, but there has always been a compromise somewhere, shutter release delay is my pet hate.

As I rarely, if ever, print out pictures these days, the computer image of these new super compacts is perfectly good by my standards, the word is, they do a 'pretty dam good A3 print' as well.

Here is a link to the Richo CX1 sample shots:

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/ricohcx1_preview_samples/

28mm - 200mm lens, no exposure compensation . . . I am impressed. And If you dont believe me read this potted review/spec.:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021901ricohcx1.asp

Would I change? Perhaps not for the Richo as it stands, no view finder(?) but they are getting there, when the DSLR Nikons wear out, or I get to old to hump all that baggage about . . . :g: I might even be prepared to do a little more post PhotoShopping . . . within reason . . . dont lets be to OTT :lol:

Some of you must have views on the subject, its another move forward that "is here to stay" . . . :P

Times, 'they are a changing' . . . SW OFC

PS, just had a peak at the Canon G10 and Sigma DP1 (DP2 out this week I think?) picture samples on 'dpreview'. I rate!!!! :thumbs: the Richo CX1, a bargin at £300'ish? Will they do a ad on view finder as they have with previous models???

Edited by Sutton Warrior

the computer image of these new super compacts is perfectly good by my standards, the word is, they do a 'pretty dam good A3 print' as well.

I do hope you're right about that! I took a few shots last weekend on my new compact camera, and have just sent some off to be printed. Like yourself, I don't print pictures very often, but I had a too good to resist offer from a printing company, and I want them to surprise a friend. I'll let you know how good they are when I receive them!

I don't have the luxury of a budget that can accommodate an all-singing, all-dancing DSLR, so I've settled for a compact camera, one that I can keep in my bag or my pocket at all times. The DSLR's in the camera shop were very tempting, but it wasn't only the price that put me off - it was the size of them and all their attachments! I really need something that I can keep in a bag or a pocket, ready to use. On my camping and boating holidays, space is at a premium, and more often than not I won't have room for anything more than something I can just slip into a pocket.

I hope I've made a good decision, but time will tell....!

Janet

You're right SW, they're certainly closing the gab on the bricks, but (and to quote Clifftop, "there's always a but") they're still unable to do a lot of things the old brick can. OK, the shot of the purple flower is good but it still dont have that good an IQ. I think the lens' on the P&S will never be as good as some quality glass on a brick. And what about "Off camera flash"? I doubt they can deal with all that malarky either. BUT, they really do cater for those who are not going to go all the way with photography quite well, so yes, its really something to think about.

Mick.

ps, I went to an exhibition last weekend. "Wildlife Photographer of the Year". An awesome exhibit it was too. And while nearly all the shots were taken with Canon 5D's, 400D's 1DMKII's and Nikon 2D's etc, there were one or two that were taken with a P&S.

rb_getcreative.gif

You're right SW, they're certainly closing the gab on the bricks, but (and to quote Clifftop, "there's always a but") they're still unable to do a lot of things the old brick can. OK, the shot of the purple flower is good but it still dont have that good an IQ. I think the lens' on the P&S will never be as good as some quality glass on a brick. And what about "Off camera flash"? I doubt they can deal with all that malarky either. BUT, they really do cater for those who are not going to go all the way with photography quite well, so yes, its really something to think about.

Mick.

ps, I went to an exhibition last weekend. "Wildlife Photographer of the Year". An awesome exhibit it was too. And while nearly all the shots were taken with Canon 5D's, 400D's 1DMKII's and Nikon 2D's etc, there were one or two that were taken with a P&S.

I think the point is Mick, its what you want from a camera. Me, I'm happy doing what I do, very simple, but my 'photographers eye' is getting better, therefor I can appreciate my work better, it does not bother me what other think. And those that I do give pictures to, usually by email, are not photographers, so think I'm gods gift! poor deluded souls B)

I also appreciate 'natural' pictures, as you are aware, the Richo CX1 is absolutely spot on for me, and if some times one might like a little more punch, its close enough to only need just that tade of persuasion in PS?

Personally, when I first started needing proper photographs for publication back in 1989-90, the only option was SLR, hens I have always had the tie to Nikon with my lenses. These days, I'm happy to be a bumbling hobbyist, its nice to understand whats going on, but if I'm honest, these days, I'm not interested in the trappings, I just cut to the chase. Thats how I am with most things, cars are tools to get from A to B. I'm still using fishing rods and reels 20 years old, although the preferred rods are 5 years old, new by my standards! No I'm not a tackle tart, tackle shops wont get rich on me. My boat is slow, displacement speed, I dont want a hare'um scar'um, shake all you teeth out, wave jumper, 40 miles off shore? I can catch sports and big fish fairly close in, why wast the fuel? Life is a steady procession these days, you wait till you get to 62! In fact my 'younger boating mate' tells me he has hit the 'wall' at 55 :P

I'm watching, I like to see where others are heading, but me, the original boring 'steady Eddy'. Will there come a point, in the not to distant future when I will trade my DSLR's for a modern CX1, if they get a view finder on it, yes I'm a candidate? But till then??? You cant take consistently good pictures holding a camera 'Zombie fashion', in bright sun light. See I still have an opinion :whistling: To qualify the statement slightly, by consistently good I mean, zero shake and good composition, the three point support given by looking through a view finder and no sun glair is essential in the end.

Purely a personal view, I am quite happy to stand on the side line and watch . . .

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

PS, just had a peak at the Canon G10 and Sigma DP1 (DP2 out this week I think?) picture samples on 'dpreview'. I rate!!!! :thumbs: the Richo CX1, a bargin at £300'ish? Will they do a ad on view finder as they have with previous models???

I have been thinking lately about ditching my DSLR with 5 lens plus filters and bits and bobs in favour of a highish spec compact. I have read many reviews of the G10 and have to admit it sounds like a nice bit of kit. However all the reviews I have read complain about the noise even at ISO 80. It looks OK on the camera but shows up a lot when you download shots onto the PC.

This is why I still have my "half a brick" though I do find myself using my Canon IXUS 90IS a lot more these days. Though to be honest my photography is quite limited due to age & ill health. :wheelchair:

Having said all that I still find myself wondering about the G10. So if anyone on here has one I would appreciate their opinion of it. :g:

Del

Founder Member OFC.

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Having said all that I still find myself wondering about the G10. So if anyone on here has one I would appreciate their opinion of it. :g:

Del

Founder Member OFC.

I read something recently about the G10 and the (well respected reviewer) was drawing comparisions with the Hassaleblad 45mp digital back!

Canon G10 Review

I read something recently about the G10 and the (well respected reviewer) was drawing comparisons with the Hasselblad 45mp digital back!

Canon G10 Review

Thanks for the link Chippy though it has left me even more uncertain what to do.

I also read their review of my "brick" and that just confirmed what I already knew "that it is a good camera"

Ah well at least I now have more food for thought. :camera:

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

I got the G10, its a fantastic camera, is basically just a DSLR in a compact body. I have no problem with the noise issues, not so far atleast, its not comparable to my 5d's obviously, but then its not going to because the sensor is smaller. if your worried about the noise problem, check out the previous model, the G9, less mp so the noise is virtually nothing at lower ISO's, and it has a bigger zoom to.

I would recommend both of these models, i know pro's have them as a back to their back up cameras. There not the smallest compacts on the market, but are considerably smaller then even the smallest DSLR's, and the results you can get from them are awesome. Its a fantastic camera to have with you when your fishing and cant carry your SLR with you. Though i personally would never change my SLR for a compact as the quality just isnt comparable for me.