Old photoshop elements ?

RobStubbs

I have a very old version of photoshop elements (v2) - to play with before I consider getting a newer version. My question is can I work with jpg images and resave again as jpg ? When I played around I couldn't see jpg, just a dozen other file types. So if I can't what is the best to stick with in terms of a format that can be universally viewed and mainains the image quality / resolution ?

TIA.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

If it's any help, Elements v7 is available for a month's free trial. I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it, although it's a steep learning curve! So far as I'm aware it's the full version, and not a cut-down one.

My knowledge of file formats is basic to say the least, but I'm sure there'll be someone along to help you shortly.

Janet

I have a very old version of photoshop elements (v2) - to play with before I consider getting a newer version. My question is can I work with jpg images and resave again as jpg ? When I played around I couldn't see jpg, just a dozen other file types. So if I can't what is the best to stick with in terms of a format that can be universally viewed and mainains the image quality / resolution ?

TIA.

Rob.

Whew Rob, you are going back a bit . . . I did use Ev2 a looooooooong while ago, think it saves 'JPG' as standard?? Try working on a copy image, save to windows folder, hover mouse over thumb-nail, it will give basic information like that as a pop-up. The present form of Ev7, there are is a whole list of formats when saving, that you need to read carefully the first couple of times, the JPG format can be missed, even worse for me, dyslexia makes list look very jumbled :unsure:

The other comment I would make is, Ev2, if memory serves, bears little resemblance visually on screen to its modern version? Though much of the functionality is similar, albeit extensively added to and refined. Ev7 looking very like full version PS, I now have a copy of CS4 to compare, there is nothing that makes me see any justification in my mind to pay the extra. I have seen that statements in recent media reviews, only professionals and the ultra enthusiast need bother, long live Elements v.7 :thumbs:

SW

So do you guys think elements 7 is worth the extra money and/or are any of the older versions worth getting (since I can of course pick them up cheaper off ebay than the latest version) ? I'm not looking at doing tons of stuff with it as I don't really have the time.

Cheers,

Rob.

So do you guys think elements 7 is worth the extra money and/or are any of the older versions worth getting (since I can of course pick them up cheaper off ebay than the latest version) ? I'm not looking at doing tons of stuff with it as I don't really have the time.

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob, Elements v.7 can be had at Amazon currently for as little as £31.00+PP. There are a few on the site listed as used up to £35 . . . in truth they are packages but with out a box, its how I got my Ev.7.

The word is, Ev.6 is so close, if you are already running v.6 its not worth the upgrade, wait for v.8??? when ever that might be?

The difference between V.2 and v.7 is dramatic and £30'ish + postage is good value. Janet's suggestion of down loading the 30 days free trial is a good idea, it dies after 30 days, delete it from your computer, go to Amazon, buy the unboxed full version for under 40 quid including postage, 'simples' :P

SW

Rob, Elements v.7 can be had at Amazon currently for as little as £31.00+PP. There are a few on the site listed as used up to £35 . . . in truth they are packages but with out a box, its how I got my Ev.7.

The word is, Ev.6 is so close, if you are already running v.6 its not worth the upgrade, wait for v.8??? when ever that might be?

The difference between V.2 and v.7 is dramatic and £30'ish + postage is good value. Janet's suggestion of down loading the 30 days free trial is a good idea, it dies after 30 days, delete it from your computer, go to Amazon, buy the unboxed full version for under 40 quid including postage, 'simples' :P

SW

It appears elements 7 is too resource hungry for my PC to run it, if the specs are right. I might try the free downloaded version to check if it works. Failing that I can get 6 for 20 quid off amazon...

Rob.

It appears elements 7 is too resource hungry for my PC to run it, if the specs are right. I might try the free downloaded version to check if it works. Failing that I can get 6 for 20 quid off amazon...

Rob.

Been there Rob, depends on your computer? until I changed to a new one in January, I could only run up to V.4 . . . v.5 crashed my old computer everytime!!! I was light on RAM only 512mb and the CPU was not up to it either, all 6 years old! Up graded to 2GB of RAM, worked fine but the old girl used to throw a general wobbly every few days, very frustrating!! New modern spec., computer in Jan., sorted the problem, now its only finger trouble I have to contend with! :D

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior