Rain stopped play....

Janet

I was fortunate to be house sitting for a friend recently, over on the Fylde Coast, just a short walk from a lovely scenic area of the Ribble Estuary which is full of bird and wild life, and also a rather scenic small boatyard. I was very much looking forward to taking my new camera for a walk and trying to get some good photo's.

However, the rain never stopped! Well, it did, but it started again each time I got my camera out of the bag!

I couldn't quite handle an umbrella AND the camera, despite being a woman and used to multi-tasking! It was just that bit too windy to be able to balance a brolly on my shoulder and handle the camera at the same time. It was OK for a few quick shots, but not when I needed to spend some time composing the shot and waiting for the moment....I tried fixing the brolly to my tripod, but that was an unmitigated disaster, as the whole lot nearly ended up in Blackpool!

At times it was only a slight drizzle, but having spent the housekeeping on this new toy, I was a bit reluctant to get it wet.

So, a couple of questions for you more experienced photographers...

Provided the camera was dried immediately, would a light drizzle do any lasting damage?

Other than buying a waterproof camera, what would you recommend to enable me to be able to take photographs in adverse weather conditions whilst keeping my camera protected from the elements?

I hope there's someone out there who can help, because I missed some amazing shots in the fabulous evening light. I'm currently Googling for answers, but it's hard work (and rather expensive!) for some of the equipment that's recommended.

Janet

Janet I once read in a magazine that to protect your camera in bad weather you should nick a shower cap from a hotel. Now I know you wouldn't dream of getting one that way, but if you buy or borrow one :D you then cut a hole in it just big enough for the tip of the lens to poke through and your nice new shiny camera will stay nice and dry. :clap2:

I don't know if it works or not but I see no reason why it should not. By the way you need a clear shower cap so you can see all the bobs & whistles on your pride and joy. :whistling:

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Janet I once read in a magazine that to protect your camera in bad weather you should nick a shower cap from a hotel. Now I know you wouldn't dream of getting one that way, but if you buy or borrow one :D you then cut a hole in it just big enough for the tip of the lens to poke through and your nice new shiny camera will stay nice and dry. :clap2:

I don't know if it works or not but I see no reason why it should not. By the way you need a clear shower cap so you can see all the bobs & whistles on your pride and joy. :whistling:

Janet, dont try to use the shower cap after you have cut the hole in it though . . . :lol:

Yes, a large freezer bag will do a similar job . . . ??? not so good as a shower cap though . . . :D

Get inside a large black bin bag, cut small hole for camera lens, and a couple for your eyes . . . . :rolleyes: errrrr, its the silly season and I have had a glass or three of some quality Merrydown cider . . . :drunk:

SW

Get inside a large black bin bag, cut small hole for camera lens, and a couple for your eyes . . . .

Go straight to the naughty step, you bad boy!

Well, I've had a Blue Peter moment.

I've cobbled together a basic case made from cut up plastic document wallets, freezer bags, staples and masking tape...the tricky bit was finding something to protect the lens when it was extended, but I've managed that with the plastic top off an air freshener aerosol, held on with an elastic band. The tape is supposed to be waterproof, but time will tell!

It's not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but I hope it will do the job.

...and wouldn't you just know it? It's stopped raining!

Janet

Go straight to the naughty step, you bad boy!

Well, I've had a Blue Peter moment.

I've cobbled together a basic case made from cut up plastic document wallets, freezer bags, staples and masking tape...the tricky bit was finding something to protect the lens when it was extended, but I've managed that with the plastic top off an air freshener aerosol, held on with an elastic band. The tape is supposed to be waterproof, but time will tell!

It's not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but I hope it will do the job.

...and wouldn't you just know it? It's stopped raining!

Janet

Janet, the Freezer bag will do to keep the body dry, hold your hand above the lens, compose, press the shutter, then put the camera under your coat lens pointing down. Thats how I took these 'Wood & Water' shots, it was chucking it down . . . fresh out of freezer bags and shower hats :lol:

1gutterIMG_4283.jpg

:) Had a good day to day, plenty of fairs and tips, one was a £16'er, they gave me £20, dont get that to much these days, more like 20p . . . if you are lucky! Have a good un tomorrow and I can have all of Friday off. Do paper work, make a couple of phone calls, chase care insurance, pay my licence for the next 12 months . . . then if the forecast holds, down to the marina and go for the sea bass on the afternoon tide :yahoo: like a cork out of a bottle.

SW

I took my camera fishing once when it was raining. I left it in the car for most of the day but I decided I'd try get a shot of somethng so got the camera out. I'd read about just popping it in a plastic bag so i did that up at the car. I walked down to our spot, put the camera down for about 2 minutes and then when I was ready, I got the camera. I opened the end for the lens to poke out but it was covered in condensation. A big no no for your lens. So, its never been out in the rain since.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif