Is being keeping clean ok for fish

irons64

I think it was W.C Fields that said, "never drink the water, children p**s in it and fish f**k in it". On a more serious note, i understand some fishermen die each year through infection of some kind. Not wanting to go overboard, i was wondering if it is safe (for the fish) to use a disinfectant hand wash. At the moment i wash my hands with my drinking water, but i'm a little worried if i have cuts or, as still quite new to the subtle art of fishing, i still hook my fingers at least 3 times a session! Am i overreacting, advice please.

i still hook my fingers at least 3 times a session! Am i overreacting, advice please.

As a builder with eczema on my hands and fished most of my life, maybe i should be dead or maybe something will get me one day, but i wouldn't die worrying about it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think it was W.C Fields that said, "never drink the water, children p**s in it and fish f**k in it". On a more serious note, i understand some fishermen die each year through infection of some kind. Not wanting to go overboard, i was wondering if it is safe (for the fish) to use a disinfectant hand wash. At the moment i wash my hands with my drinking water, but i'm a little worried if i have cuts or, as still quite new to the subtle art of fishing, i still hook my fingers at least 3 times a session! Am i overreacting, advice please.

Alcohol kills most bugs and doesn't leave any residue if its a plain gel without moisturisers etc. One thing people don't tend to realise is that you still need to wash your hands with soap and water. You should use the gel on clean hands. Also some bugs are more alcohol resistant. Take the hospital 'superbug' C. difficile, this is not killed by alcohol gel but is spreads rapidly because patients and visitors don't wash their hands enough with plain old soap and water!

All that said I don't worry to much!

Rich

If you try to keep too clean, you'll end up with a severely hampered immune system (which works by building antibodies to the small doses of germs you will be exposed to).

Make sure your anti-tetanus booster jabs are up to date, take sensible precautions against ticks, don't drink non potable water, and visit the GP early if you suffer unusual symptoms.

And as for C. difficile, neither alcohol or soap and water are very effective, I think it's thought that the hand drying and friction remove the spores (although I think research is still being done here).

Geoff

Just to keep the risks of leptospirosis (Weil's Disease) in context, the mortality statistics for the UK are available online, and it typically kills one or two people a year. Government documentation quotes the average number of infections as 54 a year. Not necessarily anglers, the at-risk population includes farm workers, construction workers, sewer workers, all sorts of outdoor/watersports participants, etc. Typically, in subsistence farming communities a large proportion of people test positive for antibodies for leptospirosis without having become ill (i.e. they have been exposed to the pathogen) and I would not be surprised if that's true of anglers too.

Be careful, take sensible precautions, but don't blow the risk out of proportion. You've much more chance of falling in and drowning.

blimey if your sandwiches dont have a slight tench / goundbait /maggot /mud flavour you aint fishing :rolleyes: what next an onsite shower ?

dont worry you will die of something but probably not what you expect nor have the slightest control over.

i would work out why i'm hooking myself "at least 3 times a session" (are you blind?) before worrying about how shiny your hands are

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think it was W.C Fields that said, "never drink the water, children p**s in it and fish f**k in it". On a more serious note, i understand some fishermen die each year through infection of some kind. Not wanting to go overboard, i was wondering if it is safe (for the fish) to use a disinfectant hand wash.

Yes kids and fish **** in it but that doesn't stop peple eating the fish that live it!!! Think about that??

If you use alcohol hand wipes or gels, you won't be doing the fish any harm whatsoever.

At the moment i wash my hands with my drinking water, but i'm a little worried if i have cuts or, as still quite new to the subtle art of fishing, i still hook my fingers at least 3 times a session! Am i overreacting, advice please.

Just use alcohol hand wipes. It's safe for you and the fish. OK.

Leptospirosis is the only thing you really have to concern yourself about and in 27 years of fising I've never encountered it. Besides, Weil's doesn't survive in a dry environment so dry your hand properly, wipe them with alcohol and you have nothing to worry about.

Go fishing and stop being so paranoid. It's VERY RARE, unless there are prolific numbers of rats living near your chosen waterway.

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Taking some precautions and using alcohol wipes is a good idea especially in areas with weils disease. It's also worth keeping up with your tetanus jab.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek