Couple of hours with the bass . . .

Sutton Warrior

Friday, a day off to catch up with paperwork and chase some issues on the phone, left me with half a day to spare . . . tagged on to the bank holiday thats three and a half days off . . . 4 days really didn't have to get up early I had planed it so that I could take advantage of the late afternoon low water in the river.

Its the start of the bass season, still early but there were reports of a few smaller fish. I locked out at 3pm, the wind was unsuitable for the River Stour, so the Orwell it was, great to have a choice! As the flood was 2 hours away and it only takes 20 minutes to get to the general area I had in mind. I spent a very productive period motoring slowly around looking at the bottom contours, noting possible future areas for investigation as potential productive bass marks

Anchor down, 4.30pm LW and laying with the wind . . . a few tickles and a couple of mini bass. The transom was now pointing up river, I could hear the tide burbling gently past the hull, first serious cast in to 5ft of water. Bang, bang!! went the rod tip, missed it . . . its been a long while, I had forgotten how hard and quick bass hit the bait. Thats how it went for an hour, missing more than I hit, nearly loosing the rod once over the side, forgot to slacken the clutch!!!

Nothing of major note, the best was this 33cm fish:

BassrwDSC_1003.jpg

(returned after pic)!

Size does not matter to me in the river as I use 'toothpick' type single handed bait casting style tackle. My favourite rod for this anchored style of river bass fishing; a 'Ron Thompson Kamikaze' quiver tip, braid and a tiny Abu bait casting reel, any fish fights like Moby Dick on such well balanced light tackle!

The second hour, saw me casting about looking for the fish, and changing the rag worm bait every cast. The bass would only hit on a fresh worm, any old worm left and they did not want to know! In this second hour it was, cast with an almost instant hit or nothing. Reel in, cast again, shorter, longer, left or right to find that immediate strike.

Then nothing, typical early season bass session, 2 hours and its all over. Back in the marina by 7.45pm., perfect. I am looking forward to a few more evening sessions after work when tides are right.

SW