Have I sinned against the spirit of angling?

Wordbender

I feel I may have done something disrespectful and I throw myself on the mercy of this noble forum.

It's OK, I haven't gone to the dark side and resorted to fish finders or bait boats, but I am a bit worried. You see, I've recently returned from a refreshing 48 hours on my syndicate, where I was lucky enough to catch a 22lb common a 31lb mirror and a 10.2lb tench. The action was fast, furious and incredibly satisfying, with the 31 mirror giving a particularly fine account of itself during a fight that last just short of 10 minutes. So, what's the problem? Well, to the astonishment of my angling chums who witnessed these captures, I declined the option of having a photo done with any of them.

I have my reasons, mind. First, as magnificent a fish as that double-figure tench was, I was fishing for carp when I caught it, and I was using seriously heavy gear that didn't give the tench a chance once that chod rig took hold. I'm consistent with my 'accidental capture' stance, and have always declined to claim any of the specimens I've caught while targeting carp.

The common was caught next to a snag which contained carp to 50lbs or very near offer, and I wanted to get my trap re-set in the shortest possible time, with the least amount of disturbance. It was a nice fish but I was after bigger ones and 'sacrificed' the photo opportunity to get back into the fray.

The mirror was just plain ugly. Yep, a proper minger. I loved the fight, truly appreciated the capture and took the greatest of care with my prize...but a photo? No thanks. One unattractive creature in a trophy shot is quite enough. :mellow:

The thing is, a few years ago I'd have been opening the champers to celebrate catching a 30, and mightily chuffed to bank a nice 20 in the same trip. Have I changed my attitude for the worst? Have I become an elitist git? I'm not a bad person, but there's that guilty itch which only the ladies and gentlemen of the Anglers Net jury can truly scratch for me. :huh:

Over to you - be gentle with me.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I do not neccessarily agree with the total content, one thing I can certailnly equate to is the reluctance to photograph certain fish. I did not take a picture of the biggest Carp I ever caught and several others over 30 lb because they looked ugly fish with huge pot bellies whereas a good looking specimen irrespective of weight I will photograph every time. I can understand the principle ofd wanting to catch what you are fishing for however a 10lb Tench is a milestone and worthy of a picture.

I sympathise.

I'm currently trying to catch a 20lb specimen carp for my PB list. I have caught some large (for me) carp, but they all all been particularly ugly mirror/leather/bred for table pot-bellies, and therefore I've just unhooked them in the water.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

I can understand the principle ofd wanting to catch what you are fishing for however a 10lb Tench is a milestone and worthy of a picture.

The thing is, Tinca, like all of the other 'non-target' species I've caught, that tench actually represents a failure in my angling, because I was doing my best to avoid catching it. It was the first tench I've caught on a chod rig and I deliberately used a mega-blatant, bright orange, 20mm pop-up, which again I've never had a tench take an interest in. So, I caught a fish I was trying to avoid, on a rig and bait I chose specifically to repel it, and landed it in ten seconds on tackle suited to hit-and-hold tactics on carp five times the weight of the tench. :o

All in all, there was no merit or satisfaction (beyond knowing that such a fantastic tench lives in our syndicate) for me in that capture, so I didn't record the moment. That's the third tench of over 10lbs I've caught from the venue - presuming it's not the same fish, and I don't think it is - and one day I'll make a proper play for another one, only this time it will 'count'. Mind you, with my record for catching non-target species, every monster carp in the lake will be queuing to torment me. :rolleyes:

All the best.

The thing is, Tinca, like all of the other 'non-target' species I've caught, that tench actually represents a failure in my angling, because I was doing my best to avoid catching it. It was the first tench I've caught on a chod rig and I deliberately used a mega-blatant, bright orange, 20mm pop-up, which again I've never had a tench take an interest in. So, I caught a fish I was trying to avoid, on a rig and bait I chose specifically to repel it, and landed it in ten seconds on tackle suited to hit-and-hold tactics on carp five times the weight of the tench. :o

All in all, there was no merit or satisfaction (beyond knowing that such a fantastic tench lives in our syndicate) for me in that capture, so I didn't record the moment. That's the third tench of over 10lbs I've caught from the venue - presuming it's not the same fish, and I don't think it is - and one day I'll make a proper play for another one, only this time it will 'count'. Mind you, with my record for catching non-target species, every monster carp in the lake will be queuing to torment me. :rolleyes:

All the best.

Sir Wordbender, I can hardly suggest you've acted outside the spirit of angling given previous history on this forum. I recall some years ago on ex-poster on this forum suggesting that as the species caught wasn't being fished for by your son it didn't count and that you were very upset by the suggestion.

I agreed with you at the time and haven't seen reason to change the point of view. If the species respond to the same tactics - as carp and tench do, you can't write off a 'nuisance' tench as something which doesn't count.

As for photographs, people were catching fish long before either Messrs. Fox-Talbot or Daguerre had their ideas - and Eastman is jus a mere Johnny-come-lately. You've had the satisfaction of catching the fish, a photgraph is a matter of personal choice and nowt whatever to do with tactics. If you just so happen to be 'ugly-ist' remind me not to let you even think about photographing me.

All the best.

Alan

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Wordbender, I shouldn’t worry too much.

There aren’t many methods which are guaranteed to catch only one species of fish so try as you might to use Carp rigs which are anti Tench, if the Tench are present there’s a chance you’ll catch one, and vice versa. I like my methods to appeal to as many species as possible :D .

As regards photos well I’d love to have seen a piccie of a double Tench so please go back and fish for Carp again.

I understand the ugliness thing though, in my youth I dated my fair share of ugly ladies and not one of them took a photo of me.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

i can understand your reasons,i wouldnt want a photo of a right minging carp either,however,i would of been chuffed with the tench as im very fond of tench fishing.

i have had a very big bream once,didnt bother weighing it or getting a photo because like you i wasnt fishing for it,i wish i had now tho

If the species respond to the same tactics - as carp and tench do, you can't write off a 'nuisance' tench as something which doesn't count.

I think I can if I've actively tried, and failed miserably :rolleyes: , to avoid brer tench, then landed it in seconds on monster carp gear, there's no credit in that for me. Others may think differently and the best of luck to them.

It's a personal thing, yer angling, and if I can't be true to my own fishy feelings then it's a poor lookout and no mistake. B)

Anyway, Algy, you should have seen me doing battle with that 30-pounder. I was quite the piscator, with the deft use of side-strain, and all the grunting and that. Impressive stuff for one so young.

What? <_<

Wordbender, I shouldn’t worry too much.

Rusty my friend, 'worrying too much' about angling is something that will never be a problem for me. I'm in constant danger of enjoying it too much, missing it too much and waffling on about it too much, but the 'worry' thing has no place in my little angling world. ;)

All the best.

I think I can if I've actively tried, and failed miserably :rolleyes: , to avoid brer tench, then landed it in seconds on monster carp gear, there's no credit in that for me. Others may think differently and the best of luck to them.

It's a personal thing, yer angling, and if I can't be true to my own fishy feelings then it's a poor lookout and no mistake. B)

Anyway, Algy, you should have seen me doing battle with that 30-pounder. I was quite the piscator, with the deft use of side-strain, and all the grunting and that. Impressive stuff for one so young.

What? <_<

:D Terry, it's great to see you on such good form.

Just remind me never, in future, to bandy prose with the professionals!

I'm a great believer in being true to yourself, but it's a measure of our respective skills that you are able to write off what I'd consider a fish to make me 'retire' from fishing after having caught it, as not worthy of record.

And, yes, Terry, I'd have loved every second of watching you land the 30. My PB is a trifling 21lbs 10oz and I felt as if I'd done too many rounds with Joe Calzaghe after a 4 minute scap.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine