Can you loan me some tackle?

Pangolin

As a schoolteacher and angler, I've been trying for a while to arrange an occasion where I can take a group of students to a fishery and teach them the basics. I'd sort of imagined four or five students, who could use some of my rods. As it turns out, I've been given the go-ahead for Jun 30th and I have had requests from 90 students to take part. I've made it clear that this will have to be cut down to a more manageable 20, but it leaves me the problem of where to get some tackle for the day. What I need is around 10 carp rods and reels, preferably baitrunners. I could also do with a few extra landing nets and possibly unhooking mats. I'm happy to offer to replace anything that gets damaged, but damage would be unlikely as the students selected can be the ones I trust to take things seriously.

I'm not asking for the best, just something that would handle stocked carp, which run to around 10lb. I am happy to collect and return all borrowed items, so the nearer to Aylesbury, the better!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I have a couple of Shimano rods & baitrunners you're welcome to borrow, also a basic fox pod with alarms. The rods/reels will be overkill for the water (2.75tc I think) but if it helps PM me, I'll be on holiday for two weeks from the 29th May though. Location is Wantage, Oxon.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Can lend you a selection of gear. plus possibly provide tuition on the pole if you want. Have 3 suitable outfits (1.5, 1.75 & 2.5lb tc - all with bait-runners, 3 alarms, a couple of landing nets, bank sticks/1 pod, unhooking mat, forceps & terminal tackle. I also have a 16m pole rated to 20+ elastic with appropriate rigs that's superb for carp that size. I'm in Bletchley - just up the road. PM me for my number if you want to make use of any of this or just for a chat, I used to be involved in junior tuition at Pulborough AC a few years ago when I lived in Sussex.

Will

As a schoolteacher and angler, I've been trying for a while to arrange an occasion where I can take a group of students to a fishery and teach them the basics. I'd sort of imagined four or five students, who could use some of my rods. As it turns out, I've been given the go-ahead for Jun 30th and I have had requests from 90 students to take part. I've made it clear that this will have to be cut down to a more manageable 20, but it leaves me the problem of where to get some tackle for the day. What I need is around 10 carp rods and reels, preferably baitrunners. I could also do with a few extra landing nets and possibly unhooking mats. I'm happy to offer to replace anything that gets damaged, but damage would be unlikely as the students selected can be the ones I trust to take things seriously.

I'm not asking for the best, just something that would handle stocked carp, which run to around 10lb. I am happy to collect and return all borrowed items, so the nearer to Aylesbury, the better!

If you intend making it a long term project, then have you thought of trying for sponsorship from local shops, businesses, or even a big name tackle manufacturer/supplier.

I know some of the local shops have sponsored schools in my area for various projects.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

What I need is around 10 carp rods and reels, preferably baitrunners. I could also do with a few extra landing nets and possibly unhooking mats.

While I aplaud your efforts to get more youngsters involved in this great pastime I kind of baulk at your choice of target species and tactics.

Surely a more simple general floatfishing session would be a far better starting point? Also a lot easier "logisticly"

A bulk buy of 5m whipps doesnt cost much and I would even sugest trying Tescos as recently they were having trouble off loading stocks of whipps held by their Tescos Direct department.If theyve still got them I wouldnt mind betting the potential publicity gained by donating such would bring them would in their minds far out weigh the paltry price they were asking for them!

Anyway enough of the negative! Its a great shame more people dont give a little back to the sport like this.It benifits everyone involved and the sport no end in various ways Its a good day of the streets for the kids.helps create a better teacher/student relationship,hope fully gives the kids an insight to angling which may lead to some taking up the sport full time and if not I hope that those who dont will in later life at least look on angling with a more positive veiw than those who have never experienced it.

If you require any help on the day just ask as Im sure that there are plenty who would be prepared to help. If you decide against the carp aproach I can gladly donate some ready made pole rigs,floats,hook to nylons etc.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would contact Les Webber at Angling Projects/Junior Course Angling UK. He has a site at Wraybury with everthing you need for a days fishing with a group of kids, lake, tackle and club house.

All details can be found here www.angling-projects.org.uk

Good luck

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Thanks to all who replied. I will contact Les Webber and I will probably PM Rusty and Will about arranging to collect their tackle and return it.

Its a good idea to get sponsorship in the long-term and I'm grateful for the idea, but I need a quick fix for a one-day problem in the short term.

I'm totally in agreements with your sentiments, budgie, but I have only one day with the students and a very limited selection of waters I can transport them to. The canal has been a bit 'hit and miss' for catches recently and a small lake would give me the best chance of being able to keep an eye on all at once. Once the venue has been chosen, it has to be carp because the lake is so well-stocked that floatfishing a single maggot can often result in a take from a carp which would break the line of all but an experienced angler. I just thought I would keep things simple by freelining a bait from a robust rod and a baitrunner reel. I would much rather spend several days teaching a more refined method, but I have to work within my limitations!

• 2 weeks later...

Special thanks to lyn, as Les Webber has come up trumps and can loan me all the tackle I need. :D

What do I need to do about rod licences? Obviously I have one, but the students are all novices, trying out for just one day. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

What do I need to do about rod licences? Obviously I have one, but the students are all novices, trying out for just one day. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

They can get a licence for the day for £3.50 or for the year for £5.00 (if under 16). If they're under 12, they don't need one.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...hing/31497.aspx

Edited by Steve Walker