Overheating Astra

Dan

I have an old Astra M reg (1995) 1400 single point injection, well actually I gave it to my son but its still on the drive!! anyway in hot weather, when working hard like on the MWay or in traffic the temp slowly rises to 100 and tends to stay there, not quite so bad that it boils over but very very close. I am pretty mech minded and have changed the stat and the rad, all the hoses are good and there are no airlocks. The only thing I havent changed is the water pump, but do they ever lose efficiency? or is this likely to be something else? any thoughts gratefully recieved! The temp soon drops if the rad fan kicks in or I put the heater fan on, but it soon climbs again. I could take the stat out but would have no heater in the winter!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

could easily be the water pump, i had similar problems in the jeep, and it turned out to be partly the water pump and partly a corroded radiator

Cheers trouble is its getting just beyond acceptable, what was worn on the pump, the impellors?

if the fan is cutting in and out and cooling the water down as it does then maybe the fan swicth is dodgy. If the water pump is dodgy and there is no circulation or there is a blockage then the heaters dont normally get too hot.

im no expert butthese are couple of probs i have had in the past

Regards Paul Mc

My wife's car just had to have the impellors changed in her waterpump. The originals were plastic and suddenly bust one day!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

are you loosing water?

when did you last change the antifreeze/summercoolant?

vauxhalls require this every 2 years otherwise they overheat.

is the radiator hot on one side & cold on the other ?

[ 08. July 2005, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: pumphypete ]

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Guest Ferret1959

My Astra gets warm in the hot weather under load.

It's a low miles engine and a 1.4, water pump shouldn't have any wear and the fan,rad and stat are fine.

Maybe it's an Astra thing.

The Astra that I had used to run fairly cool, it was quite a rare occurence for the fan to run at all.

I once had a problem with an apparently overheating Mini, many remedies were tried until eventually the fault was traced to a bad earth on the temp gauge. It wasn't actually overheating at all. :mad:

Its a new rad and has new antifreeze/water mix, I'm pretrty sure the sender and guage are ok because everything shows normal in cold weather or if you put the heater fan on. No leaks as far as I can tell, and the rad gets hot all over, do astras have plastic impellors?

The pump is easy enough to change but requires all the belts to come off.