Overheating Astra

Dan

Guest sandpipper

Hi dan, youve done most of the things id have done first,try cheaking the fan belt is not slipping on the water pump next check the bearings on the water pump,a simple way is to get a long screwdriver put the handle to your ear and the end touch a nut/bolt as near o the pump as possible you`ll soon tell if the pump needs changing.thats that side of things next are the brakes sticking on slightly,is the car useing more fuel than before or less petrol stavation can cause over heating does the engine pink when you pull away hard. Heres a silly little trick you can try park your car next to your sons take two long bits of wire and run the wires to the temp sender on his to yours if it doesnt send your temp up then you know it then you know its electrical and not the engine. Hope this helps Tony

Does it have provision for summer and winter thermostats ? I know some cars used to have such things .... Or is the thermostat sticking ?

The Older I get .. The better I was.

I used to have an old Astra and it done exactly the same thing. When I asked my mechanic about it at the time he said it was a well known fault with Astras.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

no astras have metal impellors if you do change the pump change the 'o' ring at the same time ,

you say its a new rad , did you use stop leek or any other kind of cr*p before you renewed the rad?

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

try fitting a lower operating temperature thermostat 80 degrees opening may help.get a genuine vauxhall one as they usually have a small bypass hole in them to help clear air locks,non genuine ones dont usually have a bypass hole.if the water appears to be circulating you can eliminate the water pump.

is the rad cap new?

Thanks guys, sounds to me if the pump is going around and not leaking, which it is then it must be something else. Yep I did try rad seal but it claims only to bung up holes, but might try rad flush, I dont think a lower temp stat will help. once its hot and the stat open it stays well above stat temp. Might take it out altogether tho.

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com