Reel line for rivers

Gaz51

I wish I had the confidence in fluorocarbon lines that many have Tony. I've had nothing but grief and have no faith with them and now solely use Stroft for my hooklengths.

Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, Drennan float fish is good line...

I use it for tip work too, although I don't use a feeder, just one, or maybe two SSG's.

one day to go ooooh :D

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Drennan float for float,maxima for feeder....but if you intend to fish for Barbel try Krystonite in 10 or 12,i used it last season on the Ouse to great effect,it really is a super line,i"ve just purchased the same for my Chub fishing in 6lb.As stated i also use fluoro for hooklengths,sightfree is very good,as is wychwood,but i"m trying a mono out this season by WB Clarke,its been highly recommended to me by some very good fishermen..so who am i to argue!!!.

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

• 3 years later...
Sorry, I missed the bit about feeder fishing. My choice would be Pro Gold, although as it sinks it wouldn't be best for float fishing. For my reasons for choosing Pro Gold see my field test at http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/progold01.htm

If u fancy the Pro gold for Trotting and want it to float you could always rub it through Mucilin, a line

floatant thats been around for donkey's. Its good stuff. Check it out. Dan

Drennan float for float,maxima for feeder....but if you intend to fish for Barbel try Krystonite in 10 or 12,i used it last season on the Ouse to great effect,it really is a super line,i"ve just purchased the same for my Chub fishing in 6lb.As stated i also use fluoro for hooklengths,sightfree is very good,as is wychwood,but i"m trying a mono out this season by WB Clarke,its been highly recommended to me by some very good fishermen..so who am i to argue!!!.

Krystonite Gets my vote too for barbel on the feeder.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

One thing Ive found that i think might be worth pointing out is, if you feeder fish with your tip pointing up in the air on the river like i do, it doesn't matter if your line floats or sinks.

Dilemna time folks!

I need to dash off to the tackle shop tomorrow to get some new line for the new river season (nowt like being prepared is there?) :(

Any suggestions for a good reel line suitable for;

Float fishing for small fish.

Float fishing for decent chub, barbel etc

Feeder fishing for decent chub and barbel.

Any recommendations please? :)

for general float fishing you cannot beat maxima if you have problems with it sinking use a spray to make it float.i have used maxima for years and find it a good all round robust line,but slightly thicker in diameter than others.3lb line to 1 an a half pound hooklengths is good.

One thing Ive found that i think might be worth pointing out is, if you feeder fish with your tip pointing up in the air on the river like i do, it doesn't matter if your line floats or sinks.

Or if you use a backlead.

Or if you use a backlead.

Not a thing Ive played with much on the river, as its a snag pit on mine and i can only see a back lead making that worse.

surely there would have to be very little flow for it to make any difference even with a back lead? as the flow would put the line where it wanted to no matter on the small buoyancy difference.