Reel line for rivers

Gaz51

Not a thing Ive played with much on the river, as its a snag pit on mine and i can only see a back lead making that worse.

surely there would have to be very little flow for it to make any difference even with a back lead? as the flow would put the line where it wanted to no matter on the small buoyancy difference.

I've only used them on two occassions when there was a lot of weed floating down catching on the line and they did work. I used the clip on ones, the ones you put on after you've cast out and just drop off your rod tip. They pinned the line down and I never had a problem with snaggs, but maybe I was just lucky.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only used them on two occassions when there was a lot of weed floating down catching on the line and they did work. I used the clip on ones, the ones you put on after you've cast out and just drop off your rod tip. They pinned the line down and I never had a problem with snaggs, but maybe I was just lucky.

one of the major problems with feeder fishing on rivers ,is the eyes a avon rod should have bigger eyes than normal feeders,especiallywhen you are fishing upstream

Not a thing Ive played with much on the river, as its a snag pit on mine and i can only see a back lead making that worse.

surely there would have to be very little flow for it to make any difference even with a back lead? as the flow would put the line where it wanted to no matter on the small buoyancy difference.

try using anchor tube ,cut into 4inch stips attach every foot with float stops about the length of your casting length and you can keep it on untill its really pushing through ,never snags and its heavier than leadcore,just have your rods lower,no need for the rods pointing to the sky ,most people have baitrunners these days,as they say its your angle of ya dangle

Good advice, and as a another possible advantage with this tube, the fish are less likely to spook when coming across it as opposed to mono, braid etc.

I think a lot depends on conditions and your setup. If your set on using heavy gear in day light when the river is running clear, then your going to need to hide or pin things down a lot more.

Personally I find it more enjoyable and more productive to fish lighter or better still get the float gear out under them conditions. But maybe that's because I'm not an out and out carper got lost big fish barbel head. :lol:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I have several spools for each of my fixed spools, an average day on my local Suffolk Stour river you will find the following spools in my bag and all are Maxima Chameleon.

Slow moving river or lake - I seldom fish for Carp

.5lb - spool

1lb - spool

1.5lb - spool

2lb - spool

3lb - spool

4lb - spool

5lb - spool

Going to a more snaggy lake venue or faster flowing river

2lb - spool

3lb - spool

4lb - spool