"Fancy a squirrel, boy?"

Elton

Tony U:

Tony U:

Tony..I target practice regularly..also I have a

3-9x40..scope..would you like to see a pic of my rifle..

Geo..      :)    

Yes please, I am thinking of replacing my old rifle.
an-airgun2.jpg

Larger picture of scene

Excellent entry level pcp air rifle Tony..

If you are thinking of buying an air rifle >>go here<< for some good advice..

Geo.. :)

edit note: replaced the original picture with a cropped version to make the thread easier on folks with smaller screens and slower connections. Newt

[ 08. June 2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I moved in to my place about four years ago, I used to take the kids over the road to collect conkers by the carrier bag full. Last autumn we couldn't find one. They have really got out of hand. Not helped by those dosey neighbours on both sides who insist on putting 3 three stone of monkey nuts out for the vermin every day :mad:

The little buggers decided to take my back porch apart mouthful by mouthful, until I smeared it with essence of fox. Then a family of real foxes moved into the garden next door..problem over.

I also have a .22 rat gun which accounts for the odd one or two that escape Mr and Mrs Reynard. Its an air pistol with a stock and scopesight. Power is about halfway between a pistol and a rifle. Very light very effective.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have had a .22 air rifle for a lot of years although I can't remember when I last put a pellet through it. When I got it I got a scope to go with it, at 50 yards range it was breaking through half inch plywood ie pellet was visible at the back of the wood but had not made it all the way through. It would give Mr Squirrel an uncomfortable feeling if he was in the way of it :):)

Steam rules

Geo:

what make is your air rifle Peter?

Geo..   :)  

Sorry not to get back to you earlier GEO it looks a lovely weapon, I use a tweaked ASI Magnum and have done for years.

probably time I moved on.

Tony

[ 09. June 2005, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

chevin:

We don't have squirrels here, but we do have a dish that shocks visiting friends.  Parrot stuffed with almonds.  Very tasty!  

Cor - you never offered me any :mad:

...or was that because you knew I would NOT be shocked? :P

I have eaten squirrel in various forms, but frankly the skinning and trimming out now seems a bit tedious for the relatively small amount of meat you get from it. I'm getting lazier in my old age it seems, although Wordbender's recipe sounds tasty enough to tempt me to have another go. "Chilli con fried squoggy" - worth trying?

We used to get a bounty of a shilling per grey squirrel tail back in the 50s - and usually ate the rest of the squirrel. An air rifle and a couple of Alsatian dogs were pretty effective - although in those days air rifles were less powerful than modern ones, and many squirrels were just stunned - usually for long enough to fall out of the tree and be swiftly dealt with by the dogs.

Sometimes a squirrel knocked out of a tree would hit the ground running, but would need to reach another tree and climb eight feet to be safe from the dogs - amazing how far up a tree-trunk an Alsatian can run.....

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sorry not to get back to you earlier GEO it looks a lovely weapon, I use a tweaked ASI Magnum and have done for years.

probably time I moved on.

Tony

>>here<< Check these guns out Tony...

Geo.. :)

Guest PhilB
Tony U:

Hey Frantic, where did he get that lot, Leases Park or the Game butcher in the Grainger Market?

Just noticed your question Tony. He shot them all with his own fair hand at various places around Northumberland. That's where I get a lot of fly-tying materials from :) He mainly uses shotguns but now has an air rifle as well. These modern pre-charge guns are amazing, one of my friends is regularly killing rabbits at 60 yards range

[ 12. June 2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: franticfisherman2 ]