Ford Explorer or Toyota Surf?

Sportsman

I am no great 'Motor buff', and am certain too that the Explorer - on proper roads like ours here (together with occasional, gentle offroad sortees) - is a very fine piece of kit, but I do remember the case of "Chuck's Explorer" back in 1997.

Chuck was an Argentine living in the lovely southern Chilean city of Punta Arenas. He had an Explorer which he had somehow volunteered for a season's use by some friends of mine on a ranch with a sea-trout-fishing holidays operation a few hours away across the border in Argentina...

It took a month (two weeks, in reality) - the demolition of "Chuck's Car" as my Argentine pals ended up calling it, making strenuous efforts to look solemn and not to break into near hysteria at the very thought of the poor thing...

It was the relentless dirt-road driving and the cross-country tracks, you see - nothing really excessive - the other vehicles, Toyotas and Land Rovers, took it in their stride - but the poor old Explorer...

Never forget the day when one of its daily users, a fishing-guide pal of mine with whom I had scouted (fished the river to locate the fish, then how to catch them)for the past two seasons, called me and said: "Hey, Paul. I have no clients today, my friend - show me where the fish are and how to catch them."

So he picked me up... I opened the tailgate, threw in my waders, jacket, rods and bags, then closed the rear door - then went to reopen it to throw in an item that I had missed ... and the handle came away in my hand...

I looked at my friend, silently mouthing the words "Chuck's car"... My pal's face worked overtime at restraint for a creditable, fifteen, very serious seconds, before he completely lost it.

Explorers, huh...?

[ 23. August 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. I'm even more confused now.

Apparently Surfs do about 3 MPG and Exploreres fall to pieces everytime they go over a bump! :):)

Think I'll look at a mondeo :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

My Surf returns 29 miles to the gallon, over mixed driving conditions.

The same as the Subaru Legacy 2.5 Estate, I had before it.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Jeeps, riding the kerb whilst driving home from the pub is not off-roading :rolleyes:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

All kerbs are big when you're laid in the gutter :D

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

i here fiat do a 4X4

images3.jpg

images2.jpg

images.jpg

[ 24. August 2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: pumphypete ]

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought the explorer, 48000miles, electric everything, all the old MOTs and all the bills for everything thats ever been done to it (1 previous owner who is a bit of a fanatic :) 1998 R reg and all for 4K

Going to pick it up tomorrow, just hope I can afford the petrol to drive it home :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman:

all the old MOTs and all the bills for everything thats ever been done to it

So a huge wadge of bills then :D

John S