Trade

Spur-Hound

Right folks

I has come to the time when i need to start thinking of a job. Trade seems a good way to go. And i bet there are a few people on here in the know..??

In anybodys experience, what are the pluses and minuses of doing a trade? And any experience of plumbing, bricky, joinery etc??? What are the apprenticship years like?

Its iether that or be skint for the next four years in college.... Nahhh!

Tight Lines

Shaun

Hi Shaun

If its anything like up here get into Plumbing M8.Its a licence to print your own money ,my son has just about finished his first year as an apprentice Joiner,He has three week block bookings at the local college so not always work,he takes home about £140 a week .

You cant go Wrong with a trade,even if it is 4 years .

But good luck on whatever you choose.

Lenny

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Spur, if it is a trade you are after then yes, plumbing is a good one to choose...never out of work.

As an ex plumber (retired) I would also seriously suggest becoming an electrician, but you will need an extra three weeks at school :D ,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

hi mate,i would say a trade is an excellent idea. you need to pick something that the normal joe public feels not capable of doing. for instance plumbing, or even more so an electrician. many people are terrified of doing anything electrical. you can earn good money. i regret big style not getting qualified in the latter. i can do quite a bit, but in this day you HAVE to be qualified to start doing it for a living.i personally have the good fortune to be a fluent spanish speaker,again its something that many people feel not capable of doing, so i can earn decent dosh sometimes.i hope you get my general drift with all this!anyway, good luck mate.

best wishes dave. :)

A pipe burst in a doctor's house. He called a plumber. The plumber arrived, unpacked his tools, did mysterious plumber-type things for a while, and handed the doctor a bill for $600.

The doctor exclaimed, "This is ridiculous! I don't even make that much as a doctor!"

The plumber waited for him to finish and quietly said, "Neither did I when I was a doctor."

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Ferret1959

I'm a retired sparky and was never out of work. :):):)

One thing to remember though is that a plumber is a sparky with his brains removed.

Dave - "sparky" isn't a term we use over here so I did a search. Which of these best fits what you did for a living?

The computer who runs Space Station Nexus. Quite a personality in his own right.

www.ssnexus.org/fiction/glossary.html

The name of the artificial intelligence sub-routine of B5's main computer.

besterplace.green-sector.de/b5sana2.htm

electrician.

www.stensrude.com/Oz.html

Sparky is the official mascot of Arizona State University. After several mascots and team nicknames, such as the Owls and the Bulldogs, ASU athletic teams became known as the Sun Devils in 1946. Two years later an alumnus who worked for the Walt Disney Company designed Sparky, a devil with a pitch fork. Sometimes he is depicted around a sun.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparky_(Arizona_State_Mascot)

[ 02. May 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good luck Shaun - if you go down the plumbing route, its worth getting qualified as a gas fitter as well - that way a lot of central heating work becomes available.

As the Captain says - look for jobs that terrify the average DIY householder.

Another point :

Plumbing/gas fitting/electrician - all indoor work - not weather dependent.

Brickies are vulnerable to being laid off in bad weather.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

as a joiner you would have to know too much about the building practices of all the other trades :D plump for plumber or sparky :)

when you think you know everything think again....

Most of my friends and family are tradesmen, dad, uncle, cousins, mates here in Lewis and all over UK. You will never be stuck for a job if you apply yourself.

I would say plumber also, once you are time served you can earn very good money, and also can do more and more courses when working to open up many doors for yourself, so you are not just stuck been a sh*t pipe mechanic. There is Gas, Boilers etc and even offshore work available to you when you do a number of courses.

If you fancy outside healthy work, I would suggest Bricklayer - if you can get a reputation as a good bricklayer once time served, the money you can make is great! The weather dependant part does put a dampner (no pun intended) on it though.

A number of my mates are plumbers, some work for themselves and "never" are out of work, others have done more courses after becoming time served and have moved onto work in the North Sea ... and they have the comfort in mind that if the offshore work comes to and end, they have the regular plumbing of houses/builings to fall back on. They find when they are 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off - the 2 weeks off people are often calling them to do some homers for them.

Gillies

[ 03. May 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Gillies ]

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com