Port Logan boat fishing - angling pressure

Snatcher

I just couldn't believe this original post, so much in fact that I went up to the Clash this evening early on to see if the author was in the bar.

He wasn't.

How he has the balls to put a post up about the inshore pollack on the pretext of showing such great concern, is a joke.

Perhaps he ought to remember back a couple of years or more ago when he wanted to catch a bass, I and another local angler took him to some very good bass marks around the bay, and he got a few fish from some very good marks.

Within a few months, posting on this, and other forums he'd talked himself up as being the "man".

Anyone who then came on these forums mentioning either bass or Luce Bay he'd be straight on giving out bass marks that he'd been taken to by people who though he was trustworthy.

The damage has now been done, so much so that most of these spots have been fished out completley, becauseof his loose mouth.

It got to the stage where I PM'd him and asked to remember that these marks were told to him in confidence and that he shouldn't be so free with the info that other people had spent years sussing out.

As to the 90% of anglers returning their fish, the guy's I met pulling schoolies out at mark he'd told them to fish at, were knocking everyone on the head.

So John before you come on here flaming again get a dictionary and look up the word hypocrite

Edited by Manxman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snatcher,reporting in from Mariners Cafe,Drummore

I have not an axe to grind on this one,just after some meaningful input from my peers. I am

basically a shore angler with the occasional boat foray - cheers Tom. All I am doing is posing a few questions to those boat anglers who fish on a regular basis out of Logan.

Yesterday afternoon the wife and I had a walk (yes walk) over to Logan. When we arrived there what amazed me was the number of boat trailers lying on the beach and dotted around the car park. I counted 22 trailers in all which seemed a large number for a Friday afternoon. Here are some photos I took.

3-76.jpg

2-92.jpg

1-114.jpg

Last summer I recall counting the trailers there one Saturday and I am sure there were 35. On those sort of numbers I am sure that I cannot be too far off the mark saying that there must be about 100 angling launches per week during the summer if the conditions are fine.

My question is quite simple,can the fishery sustain this sort of angling pressure?? A lot of todays forward thinking anglers do tend to go with catch and release but there are still a lot of the old "bang everything on the head" brigade still around. In fact there are two boat owners I know who fall into this category and they fish Logan a lot. Ironically I heard that one kept an 8.5 pollack yesterday !!!!!!!!!!

I do not think there is a real problem with anglers keeping cod,whiting,haddock,mackerel caught out from Port Logan. My concern is that it seems like the inshore resident pollack are coming under the cosh.

I have been fishing this area for about 16 years now and the increase in boat angling really is quite noticeable. Shore angling has also greatly increased over this period as well but I have to say that at least from my own experiences 90% + of us put all our catch back.

This is not a shore v boat thread. All I was after was your opinions about the health of the Port Logan fishery,especially the inshore pollack.

John

But this is just what a lot of sea angling 'representatives' have been, and still are, pushing for. It's called the 'development of sea angling' It's only the first step in their master plan, so get used to it. Steps two and three are a strategy for you to abide by and then the control and management of your activities. :rtfm::nono:

As other aspects of their master plan come into being, like closed conservation areas, more and more anglers will be forced into the remaining areas where sea angling is still allowed, such as the place you're talking about. Still, not to worry, they will probably restrict the number of boat licences to around 500 or so, so it shouldn't get too crowded. And don't worry about the fish stocks becoming decimated because it will probably become a catch and release only area.

Great isn't it? I'm so glad we've got people promoting these things on our behalf. We are very lucky, aren't we? :wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I just couldn't believe this original post, so much in fact that I went up to the Clash this evening early on to see if the author was in the bar.

He wasn't.

How he has the balls to put a post up about the inshore pollack on the pretext of showing such great concern, is a joke.

Perhaps he ought to remember back a couple of years or more ago when he wanted to catch a bass, I and another local angler took him to some very good bass marks around the bay, and he got a few fish from some very good marks.

Within a few months, posting on this, and other forums he'd talked himself up as being the "man".

Anyone who then came on these forums mentioning either bass or Luce Bay he'd be straight on giving out bass marks that he'd been taken to by people who though he was trustworthy.

The damage has now been done, so much so that most of these spots have been fished out completley, becauseof his loose mouth.

It got to the stage where I PM'd him and asked to remember that these marks were told to him in confidence and that he shouldn't be so free with the info that other people had spent years sussing out.

As to the 90% of anglers returning their fish, the guy's I met pulling schoolies out at mark he'd told them to fish at, were knocking everyone on the head.

So John before you come on here flaming again get a dictionary and look up the word hypocrite

First time i've heard of super anglers clearing out a stock, didn't know that was possible. What evidence that the fish have been all removed. These schoolies being taken you noticed if they was of mls, if not did you say anything at the time. The one and only shore mark i use is fished by uncle tom cobbly and all, yet it still produces isn't that amazing.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

As other aspects of their master plan come into being, like closed conservation areas, more and more anglers will be forced into the remaining areas where sea angling is still allowed, such as the place you're talking about.

More anglers and less places to fish, the outcome is clear. However most wont see it until its under their noses. It reminds me of a situation in the club I used to fish. Id weighed up the percentages and worked out that under certain conditions I would, over time, catch more whiting than I would cod. When the rest of them worked it out they wanted whiting banning then they wanted to bring in the boundaries to make the marks I fished out of bounds.

"If you want to fish at Saltburn - Join Saltburn club" was the words one of them muttered at the AGM. So I was back to codding on the iffy nights. One night in particular springs to mind. There was 5 of us on a mark that really only 2 can fish comfortably. A little ledge half way down a cliff. One of the guys who had moaned about me catching whiting was effing and blinding. Too many people here its no effing good. His face was a picture when I plonked 3 cod on the scales for 16lb. He was stilling carrying on at the weigh in. I told him if he hadn't of had the whiting size limits increased I wouldn't even have been on his precious mark.

The moral of the story is, that even though he was shown the consequences of his actions he still couldn't see what he had created.

If the MCZ start taking away angling area then we will all be heaped up on the same marks. There is non so blind..........

Barry, first of all to be clear we are talking about shore angling. The marks he was taken too are very small localised area's that held some good numbers of fish. The pressure that they have put on them in the last three years or more is unbelievable, if you were to visit this area and see the amount of visiting anglers here you may well be very suprised.

These small areas cannot sustain the pressure that has been put on them, which can be directly attributed to this mans internet activities.

As to the guys whom I met at one area catching schoolies, they were keeping every thing they caught, and yes a lot of what they would have been undersized, and I told them so quite voraciously.

Now I'm big enough and tough enough to to stand my ground against any man, but faced against seven, discretion is the better part of valour.

How do I know there aren't any fish left in them, or perhaps the very odd one? I'm a fanatic bass plugger and have been for many years, I have a huge database of catch records. Some of these marks held good numbers of fish which were caught and released.

Now with the exeption of a very odd fish myself and the loose group that I belong too, who share our marks, simply don't catch bass there at all.

So it's not my lack of skill or understanding of bass habits.

I will PM you actual numbers caught on a couple of these marks if you want, it will suprise you the fish that have been caught and released, now you can't even catch a cold on them, and I'm not talking about me fishing an odd day, I fish every day I possibly can when the weather permits.

Sorry, slightly confused about this one?

Why do you feel it's wrong to take a 8.5lb pollack?

Do you think it's too small and deserves to grow bigger?

Would you prefer smaller pollack taken?

Very Sorry Brian I was referring to the comment Snatcher made and my questions were directed to him. I meant to add that I was in total agreement with your quote here. :unsure:

PM sent Brian. :)

He wasn't.

I do dispair at human nature sometimes. I do not air dirty washing in public or make false accusations about anyone,I have been raised different to that. My apologies to the mods that this has turned into a mud slinging debacle. You know where I will be for the next 5/6 weeks so for further clarification on the matter I highly recommend that you call in any see me face to face.

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I do dispair at human nature sometimes. I do not air dirty washing in public or make false accusations about anyone,I have been raised different to that. My apologies to the mods that this has turned into a mud slinging debacle. You know where I will be for the next 5/6 weeks so for further clarification on the matter I highly recommend that you call in any see me face to face.

John

Although it's nice being nice, sometimes being nice is not nice, so how about some comments for balance as that could be nice, if you know what i mean. :thumbs::D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry, first of all to be clear we are talking about shore angling. The marks he was taken too are very small localised area's that held some good numbers of fish. The pressure that they have put on them in the last three years or more is unbelievable, if you were to visit this area and see the amount of visiting anglers here you may well be very suprised.

These small areas cannot sustain the pressure that has been put on them, which can be directly attributed to this mans internet activities.

As to the guys whom I met at one area catching schoolies, they were keeping every thing they caught, and yes a lot of what they would have been undersized, and I told them so quite voraciously.

Now I'm big enough and tough enough to to stand my ground against any man, but faced against seven, discretion is the better part of valour.

How do I know there aren't any fish left in them, or perhaps the very odd one? I'm a fanatic bass plugger and have been for many years, I have a huge database of catch records. Some of these marks held good numbers of fish which were caught and released.

Now with the exeption of a very odd fish myself and the loose group that I belong too, who share our marks, simply don't catch bass there at all.

So it's not my lack of skill or understanding of bass habits.

I will PM you actual numbers caught on a couple of these marks if you want, it will suprise you the fish that have been caught and released, now you can't even catch a cold on them, and I'm not talking about me fishing an odd day, I fish every day I possibly can when the weather permits.

How sure are you that the demise of bass in the area is down to anglers and not other factors ?

I'm a bit intriqued as to why there's a thought that dirty washings being carried out in public, indeed I always was under the assumption that Manxman and Snatcher were good mates , remembering when Snatcher was taken under the wing by Manxman. Its the first post of that nature I've ever read from Manxman so maybe there are undercurrents we're not privvy to.

A bit more background or explanation certainly would'nt go amiss