fishing and canoeing

andy_youngs

:lol: you've been watching to many old Kung Foo re runs......you think your Grasshopper :lol:

Have you been walkin on rice paper yet ? You better get practicing your moves for when you meet up with those hillbillies on the river again or there sure to kick your arse and put a hole in your precious canoe :lol:

Have you not seen Deliverance.............you may find yourself squeelin like a pig boy......... :o

if you cant think of anything constructive to say then why bother.

im saving my canoeing trip past naca until the end of june. :P

there will be no holes in my boat

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: you've been watching to many old Kung Foo re runs......you think your Grasshopper :lol:

Have you been walkin on rice paper yet ? You better get practicing your moves for when you meet up with those hillbillies on the river again or there sure to kick your arse and put a hole in your precious canoe :lol:

Have you not seen Deliverance.............you may find yourself squeelin like a pig boy......... :o

Erm, I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that Tigger, other than to thank you for your contribution to the forum. You have made my case for the need for urgent action on this issue far more persuasively than I could ever do. Please Tigger ... keep on posting.

For the record, a precise account of what happened to me and my friends last weekend is as follows :

Just below Costessey Mill we were confronted by 6 men who appeared to be expecting us. Their 'spokeman' was immediately very hostile and aggressive. We assume they were representatives of NACA, however they were all dressed in khaki / camouflage, and together with homemade signs depicting armed soldiers on the river bank gave a very close approximation to some paramilitary type organisation. Our welcoming committee's spokesman was absolutely adamant that he was representing the landowner.

The whole scene quickly became very ugly, and since we had ladies and elderly gentlemen in our party we decided to turn back and take out at Costessey Mill. We then retired to the Bush public house for refreshments.

The aggressive spokesman who had been abusive to us on the riverbank was already at the pub when we arrived, presumably to check that we turned up. We took tables on the patio, at which point he approached us again and informed us that he knew where we had hired our canoes and he would make sure that "we would never hire canoes for the purposes of paddling down the Wensum from that place in the future".

The other locals in the pub were absolutely incensed by our treatment and many of them offered to row downstream with us for moral support, but by that time we'd had enough confrontation

Tigger, I'm sorry if you feel that the above events make you and your friends look bad. But I'm not the one that instigated it. I'm just trying to report factually on what happened so that fellow brothers of the angle can make a judgement over whether they feel our treatment was justified.

After all, unless this thing is sorted out it is simply going to happen again and again.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Andy....I'm only havin a joke with you m8 :thumbs:

Well, perhaps Tigger. But I don't really think it's a joking matter. As I've already pointed out earlier in this thread, I am a keen angler and I care passionately about the future and image of my sport. If there is one thing that is guaranteed to undermine the angling fraternities influence in the corridors of power, then it's the actions of a few selfish people in Costessey.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Andy....I'm only havin a joke with you m8 :thumbs:

Tigger. The thought has just occured to me that there might be NACA representitives casting an eye over this exchange, who might wish to try explore peace options between Bungay and Costessey. What do you think?

My view is that as far as people in Bungay are concerned, any peace overtures must come face to face. The enemy may send a single, unarmed, non-combatant to the Green Dragon public house in Bungay. Be careful to park your car in a secure place where it will not get broken into or have the tyres slashed. It would be unwise to talk to anyone, and you should not look anyone directly in the eye in case you get punched. Go to the bar, but suss it out first to make sure my mate Warren isn't on duty - he's another keen fisherman who is a pussycat on other peoples land but a complete bastard on home turf. He was also on the canoeing trip. Also, be wary of the owner - nobody trusts him.

Take a soft drink and retire to a quiet corner of pub.

You will be contacted in due course.

Guest tigger
Tigger. The thought has just occured to me that there might be NACA representitives casting an eye over this exchange, who might wish to try explore peace options between Bungay and Costessey. What do you think?

Andy I havn't a clue m8, I didn't realise it was this serious, I hope you get the matter sorted.

That's correct, Barbel are indigenous to all of the Eastern Rivers believe it or not. The eastern Rivers were all once tributaries of the Rhine and Barbel are indigenous to the Rhine.

Thats true if your ignoring the last ice age that sterilized a lot of Eastern rivers. I'm not sure if barbel manage to survive in the Wensum or not, but it must have been about their most northerly limit.

Ice age aside didn't Norfolk have hippos once over? Maybe the NACA should look into reintroducing them, I believe they are good at sorting canoeists out. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Thats true if your ignoring the last ice age that sterilized a lot of Eastern rivers. I'm not sure if barbel manage to survive in the Wensum or not, but it must have been about their most northerly limit.

Ice age aside didn't Norfolk have hippos once over? Maybe the NACA should look into reintroducing them, I believe they are good at sorting canoeists out. :)

Biggest animal killer in africa so I heard, lions a close second. Funnily enough I'm going there in a couple months to canoe the congo and try to catch a goliath tigerfish. I wonder if the locals in Mbandaka will be quite as hostile as people in Norfolk. I understand that they've been known to eat each other out there ...

Biggest animal killer in africa so I heard, lions a close second. Funnily enough I'm going there in a couple months to canoe the congo and try to catch a goliath tigerfish. I wonder if the locals in Mbandaka will be quite as hostile as people in Norfolk. I understand that they've been known to eat each other out there ...

Nice one Andy, If you don't get eaten maybe you could let us know how you get on. I think Vagabond might be interested. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep