Which Barrow

tincatinca

Maneuverability isn't what you want with one wheel and expensive Carbons riding on the top!

Two wheels give you stability and most of the two wheeled models I've seen are low to the ground.

Forget getting a barrow over the bridge it's never going to happen!

The Argos one does!! :P

Tinca, I'm fishing the next two weekends, if you want to test drive my barrow if you are there either weekend feel free!

Rich

The Argos one does!! :P

Rich

That wouldn't be a consideration for me when choosing one though - you can back your car up to the bridge when unloading so I just drop the gear on the other side and then load up from there.

The ideal barrow for Wingham would have 4 wheels, a seat and an engine :D

I've only ever owned the Argos one (I think it's made by Leeda) so can't compare against other more expensive ones, but I personally find the 1-wheeled ones very hard to push over bumpy ground, although they do seem better for putting more weight at the front so you don't have to lift as much.

Although someone with an engineering bent and a workshop could modify it, I'm sure...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Ah, the subject of barrows, and one which is close to my session angler's heart.

I've got a formerly dodgy back, now held together superbly by a spinal fusion and braced by some seriously trick bits of titanium. No more back problems for me, then but I'm veeeeery careful not to take liberties with it. Consequently, I've done some heavy haulin' homework on barrows, and here are my findings.

First, the finest barrow I've ever used - and I've tried them all - is the Mk2 Prestige Carp Porter. It's the easiest to push and takes all you need for a 48-hour session, and more.

Now the most important bit; it's all about the way you load it. If you don't load as much of the weight as possible over the front wheel, you'll double and treble the effort required to push the barrow, especially over rough or sticky ground. Here's where twin-wheeled barrows really can let you down, because they will remain apparently stable when you're loading them, but will turn out to be anything but when you begin to push. The single-wheel barrow needs to be loaded in a balanced way or it will tip sideways, and this requirement is a good thing because it means you have to load it properly BEFORE you start to push. You'll struggle on through with a badly loaded barrow, but you won't have to if your barrow is loaded properly in the first place. This sounds so basic but it's a vital part of using a barrow, and a strained back at the start of a session makes angling a trial, rather than the joy it should be.

I'm absolutely serious when I say that 'how to choose, load, and use your barrow' is a fundamental skill required of any angler thinking of doing longer sessions. Yes, really. :thumbs:

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Give the barrow makers another 10 years, and they might ..just might..come up with the right design :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Well, after spending most of the weekend looking at and trying out a wide range of barrows loaded up, I have to say that I have found the Carp porter range to best suit my requirements with the porterlite being the favourite to use but unfortunately being a bit too small to carry all my gear for an extended session. Having taken into consideration all of the potential possibilities I have as good as decided on the Carp porter mark 2 with the wider wheel to aid stability and the bag underneath. With the weight distributed correctly it was a doddle to push and reasonable to control. I also quite liked the look of the low loader but the effort required to push it was far greater than that of the mark 2 which I think is a serious consideration if you are walking long distances. I also liked the concept of a removeable front bag which could replace the tackle bag but was unable to try this. One thing that I would certainly advise any one who is thinking of buying a barrow to do is to try it first loaded up with their normal kit as the differences between different models can be quite marked. It is definately a case of function over form.