Top Pike lures for winter

msutton

I saw some of Andy Lush's stuff Budgie. Nice bloke but not exactly cheap. Its the copper spoons I'm after. I have a few but I need to stock up a bit. I've got a order for new boat deck hatches going into Cabelas after christmas, I'll take a look then at what they've got, although I seem to remember the copper spoons were all on the small side, but I'll probably grab a few Dardevles anyway. Thanks.

[ 24. November 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a tiny point here before everyone gets carried away with cataloguing their lure collections...

Don't accept the standard advice that you have to fish deep to catch pike on lures in winter. That's nonsense. Pike usually look upwards. One very successful trick is to fish a floater-diver very slowly, so it is well off bottom, especially in coloured water when the silhoette of the plug against the light surface will provoke takes when all else fails.

Yes, you will catch pike often by fishing deep and bumping bottom, but not always. Even if a pike is on the bottom, it will happily rise six feet to strike a slow-moving target.

The biggest problem in lure fishing for some anglers is the mechanical, unthinking retrieving of baits. That leads to boredom. Try something unconventional, even in winter.

And, by the way, I agree wholeheartedly about braid (invaluable) and shads (brilliant). And don't forget neutral-bouyancy baits, that will "suspend" if you stop the retrieve.

Great fun, isn't it? That's why I haven't used a livebait for more than a decade.

Fenboy

How would you guess this lure in a 6" version would do for winter pike? And any thoughts on which colors might work best?

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

6" is the largest but if you check the BassPro website and search for xps swim, they are certainly available in that size.

There are larger swim baits available but most are quite a bit more expensive than the $6 for the 6" one in the BassPro XPS house brand.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

argyll:

I saw some of Andy Lush's stuff Budgie. Nice bloke but not exactly cheap. Its the copper spoons I'm after. I have a few but I need to stock up a bit. I've got a order for new boat deck hatches going into Cabelas after christmas, I'll take a look then at what they've got, although I seem to remember the copper spoons were all on the small side, but I'll probably grab a few Dardevles anyway. Thanks.

This copper spoon is not a half bad alternative:

http://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk/Lures...dit_spoons.html

Vidar Thomassen