Top Pike lures for winter

msutton

Ignore that. Didnt know there was a pause between posting and it actually showing on the forum! That is a strange setup!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore that. Didnt know there was a pause between posting and it actually showing on the forum! That is a strange setup!

Not really. When you first registered, one of the pages would have explained that for the first few posts you will be on Moderator approval. Unfortunately, we had to do this to stop people abusing the forum :( Once you pass a certain number of posts, they will appear on the forum instantly (or as instantly as the server allows....)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

MC....have you tried wobbling/twitching deads yet?

I fished a 4 inch roach under a float at the weekend and had a couple of fish out, the best to 11lb which considering the state of the river fishing at the mo was very pleased with! TBH what really got the strikes was twitching/reeling in the float a bit then letting the bait flutter down again.

Location important as well....some of these fish seem to be really, really close in.....almost too risky to fish with lures due to snags

Ok thats cool about the posting delay.

Went out the other day onto a deep canal marina called glasson dock. Used a heavy spoon and a small red and black bulldawg type thing. Only cost 2 quid. Had a follow by a very good fish (for me!) 10lbs at least i reckon. Missed a bite in the same place, just teeth marks in the rubber dawg left. Later on had a small jack about 3lbs on the bulldawg. Had another jack on a toby further along the canal on a toby spoon but came off at the bank. So they are still about.

hello there behn have you given up on the pike forums

Alright mate! Nah still go on there, and a couple of other forums. Cast and catch is one but that seems to have died. Like to look through as much info as I can.

I've always had success with the Fox Hornet spinnerbait. For some reason my purple one seems to catch more fish than other colours. Not sure if that's down to the color, or it's made slightly different, but i've not failed to catch on it yet.

Super Shad raps are pretty useful for selecting bigger fish where I fish in Bridgwater, Somerset as there has been a jack explosion in the last few years.

I've recently tried some new Storm Thunder Core lures with translucent bodies and several ball bearing rattlers on the River Parrett and caught 6 fish in a morning. They looked pretty good in the water too.

Regards

James

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

I've found the Big S to be a regular catcher...okay, it's old but it works.

TBH I'll try quite a few lures out on a session..even surface poppers seem to work close in at the moment.

Being floating lures, the Big S is a good choice when the fish are in the upper layers but because of their shape they snag really easy when fishing close to the bottom. I've also found that the new ones from Shakespeare are a pale imitation of the originals. They seem to be a lot cheaply made and the ones i've used have not casted as well as the older ones.

The Heddon Zara Spook is a great top water lure as well.

James

That's wierd....i've found the Big S to be pretty good over weed etc as some of the stretches I fish are very shallow with lots of streamer weed etc.

Going to do a spot of lure fishing this weekend as I haven't got time to pi** about with baits....may try out some grubs etc for the perch.....just need to catch something to make me feel better after last weekends blank!

That's wierd....i've found the Big S to be pretty good over weed etc as some of the stretches I fish are very shallow with lots of streamer weed etc.

Going to do a spot of lure fishing this weekend as I haven't got time to pi** about with baits....may try out some grubs etc for the perch.....just need to catch something to make me feel better after last weekends blank!

Some of the stretches I fish around my local area have a lot of sunken branches and are quite deep (8-10') near the bank so when i'm retrieving close to the edge, the lure is naturally going to have its trebles exposed due to the angle of the rod to the lure. I'm sure when fishing shallower stretches like yourself Neil, the Big S would be fine. Deadly on their day as well!

:)

James