What is a skimmer & how did the name originate?

HERUTILUS

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A skimmer is a small bream. I assume they got their name because being slab-sided and having all the fight of a paper bag, if you reel them in fast enough they will skim along the surface on their side.

A skimmer is a small bream. I assume they got their name because being slab-sided and having all the fight of a paper bag, if you reel them in fast enough they will skim along the surface on their side.

Quite right, they are saving their energy for when they are lifted clear of the water and swung to hand.

THEN they go berserk. Often as not they flip off the hook as they are swung in, and FAR too often for it to be coincidence they land in your maggot box - scattering maggots far and wide and thus shortening your fishing session.

Even if they miss the maggot box first time, they flap and jump about until they find it, meanwhile you are trying to grab them, knowing they will cover your hands with slime if you succeed.

....so DON'T tell me they can't fight - they can, and dirty fighters they are. :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

:lol:

And of course, because they are so slimy, you don't really want to net them if you could possibly swing them in!

I can't remember the last time I caught a bream - it's been years!

So true! I do everything I can to avoid having to land one of the buggers! I let my line go slack, hoping they'll shake the hook....do they? Not on your life.....I then have to unhook them....yuk!

Did I ever tell you about the time I managed to swing one in and lose it down my cleavage? Damn thing went straight down my top......

You lot may whinge about handling them, but until you've had to try and get bream slime off your bra, you haven't lived!

Janet

I managed to swing one in and lose it down my cleavage

Did you ever find it? :lol:

Its not a problem I've encountered before, but being a gentlemen, I would always be willing to help a lady out and retrieve said skimmer. :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

the worst part is pulling all the little blobs of slime off your line afterwards

However very important as you won't get a bite afterwards if you do not wipe it off!! not sure what it is but it spooks them off feeding?!?!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

The funny thing is that sometimes you hook one and they go ballistic literally jumping straight out of the water the moment they feel the hook, I have had them jump about 2-3 feet out of the water with no problems!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription