PHOTO HOSTING SITES

Janet

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have adverts on the page! Adblocker tells me that there's nothing to block, so I guess I'm stuck with them.

Anyway, I've decided to have a try with Flickr to see if it improves the quality at all..

3610795021_00854ac20f_b.jpg

...and this is Photobucket

SS853381.jpg

Is it just me? On my screen the first one is much sharper and clearer.

Both are exactly the same file uploaded from my PC. I've selected the large size in Flickr and the 17"screen option in Photobucket.

Somebody please tell me that I'm not imagining things, as this is driving me batty!

Janet

Top one does look sharper Janet. Not used flikr, but when you say you selected the size, I confess that I did not lnow you could :)

I use photobucket and ignore the ads they pay for the site.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm glad you can see it too Den, as I was beginning to doubt my own eyes! I can see a noticable difference. The Photobucket one is noticably less sharp than the original image.

I hope it's just down to something I've got set incorrectly and someone will enlighten me soon!

Thanks for your help.

Janet

I hope it's just down to something I've got set incorrectly and someone will enlighten me soon!

Janet

The flickr pic is a bigger file 665kb as against 470 kb for the photobucket one , so presumably the hosting site is compressing it when you upload it.

How big is it on your comp?

This one is from photobucket, can't get much sharper I don't think. (It's a very young Whitethroat) ......and just under 200kb, so I don't know now if that makes a difference. :headhurt:

IMG_7162-c-r-f.jpg

I copied your pic, (the photobucket version) tweaked it a bit and uploaded it via photobucket again, how is it now?

janet_photobucket_filteredmodified.jpg

I can see the difference Janet . . . When I upload to P/bucket, I select the size that I want the picture to be before I upload. ie., 800 pixels for the comp, save late to my computer folder, then upload the file at that size, I dont let 'PB' do any sizing for me. Also, when I 'Save as' to the computer folder, I select 'large file (10)'.

SW

I'm rapidly losing patience!

I just checked the "properties" on the Photobucket one, and it says it's 6123 bytes. The Flickr one is 205.14 kB (210060 bytes). Both were simply uploaded originals of the same picture taken from my PC.

Your picture is very sharp on my screen Ayjay, unlike mine.

As I seem to be the only one who is having problems with Photobucket, I suspect I have something set incorrectly, but I'm buggered if I know what it is!

Janet

There you go, taken the fliker picture, tweeked it, saves as the same size as you first posted but via my PB account:

JanettestPB3610795021_00854ac20f_b1.jpg

Same picture but resized to 80ppi and 800 pixels on the long edge, again via my PB account:

resizeto800JanettestPB3610795021_00.jpg

Third pic., sharpend after resize to 800 pixels, upload via PB.

Testsharpenaftersizereduction361079.jpg

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

SW, I don't seem to get the option to "Save As" like you do.

My pictures open automatically in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, and I then take it from there, using Picasa most times. My free trial of PS7 has run out, and I can't afford to buy the full package until next week! "Save as" lets me save it under a different name, but I don't seem to have any control over the size...

I'm not given any options for choosing size when I save it. Shouild I be using a different prog to open pictures? I seem to have several packages on this PC but I don't know what to use or when!

I do apologise if I'm being really dim, but I am very new to this and I'm currently wishing I'd taken up knitting instead!

Janet