PHOTO HOSTING SITES

Janet

Thanks for that Ayjay. Invert selection worked. It did the trick - but I couldn't save it! Well, I did save it, or rather I think I did, but now it isn't anywhere to be found! Still, PS7 is currently on the way, so hopefully I'll be sorted soon....

Ok. Here is a quick pic I took yesterday. The first is on hosted on Photobucket, the second on Flickr, both uplloaded straight from my PC with no fiddling with any settings....on my PC the picture is very sharp....let's see what happens when I try to upload it....

PHOTOBUCKET

BLACKBERRYFLOWER.jpg

FLICKr

3617675368_df9b6e4647.jpg

Is it just me, or am I right in thinking that the Flickr upload is much sharper?

I hope it just turns out to be something simple that I'm doing wrong, as everyone else seems to be content with Photobucket as a hosting site....

Janet

OK Janet, I don't know whats going on here, I struggled to get a copy of your flower (PB) can usually drag into a folder? However we did it in the end, I then reduced it to the same size as your Flickr image, it was not as good, so I simply added a tad of 'sharpen' all in Ev.7, looked OK at that point . . . uploaded to PB, press button, hows it looking . . .

TestflowerBLACKBERRYFLOWER1.jpg

SW

Mmm . . . Is Flickr adding a 'sharpen' to the image??? cos my PB version looks very close now I have sharpened it and reduced it to 472x500? Whats the original picture look like out of the camera when you first put it up on screen Janet? :unsure:

Re read your post. Flickr has reduced the picture . . . ? :unsure: Is the original, before posting to PB sharper than what is presented on screen here? I can only think, in the reducing process Flickr 'auto sharpens' as well? otherwise, I'm very confused . . . :headhurt:

Edited by Sutton Warrior

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be glad to get to the bottom of this as it's driving me do-lally at the moment!

Anyway, my copy of Elements 7 has just arrived, so I'm off to get it loaded and get cracking....

Janet

PS. Superb delivery from Amazon - ordered on Wednesday evening, despatched yesterday, arrived this morning.

There you go, taken the fliker picture, tweeked it, saves as the same size as you first posted but via my PB account:

JanettestPB3610795021_00854ac20f_b1.jpg

Same picture but resized to 80ppi and 800 pixels on the long edge, again via my PB account:

resizeto800JanettestPB3610795021_00.jpg

Third pic., sharpend after resize to 800 pixels, upload via PB.

Testsharpenaftersizereduction361079.jpg

SW

Holy moly eye splitting sharpness going on there it is way over processed, the original image on flickr was spot on and i could also see a difference in to to the photobucket image in post 12 (calibrated 23inch 1080p Samsung monitor here)

FWIW i use Fotopic because it is English and i would rather support them than anyone else.

Holy moly eye splitting sharpness going on there it is way over processed, the original image on flickr was spot on and i could also see a difference in to to the photobucket image in post 12 (calibrated 23inch 1080p Samsung monitor here)

FWIW i use Fotopic because it is English and i would rather support them than anyone else.

A thought, 'Alnath', I wonder how many of the AN members use a calibrated monitor??? Mine is an HP w2216, calibrated according to the very extensive program supplied with the monitor. Took me a few goes to get to grips with the fennes of the calibration set up . . . it would have been so easy to press auto! I will accept my 'calibration' is not to a 'spider' type system, however, it is calibrated to a standard that I assume HP have allied to industry standards and applied within their program? To me it does not matter, I'm happy with what I have.

I agree, its a bit 'sharp+' but that was the question, it was not so on the original posters monitor? Are you pixel peeping? The original might have come out of the 'Samsung Compact Camera' preprocessed . . . ? almost certainly did, so I assume, anything on the top will be OTT if 'peeping'.

Academic now anyway . . . it does pose the question . . . Janet, how are you finding things with your new Elements v.7, bact to normal . . . ???

SW

Getting on fine with Elements SW!

At the same time I also bought a book entitled "Brilliant Photoshop Elements 7", and I'm currently working my way through it. Due to work pressure this month, I haven't had as much time as I would have liked.

I've taken loads of photo's, but unfortunately nothing good enough for the competition yet.

As for calibrating monitors? I didn't understand a word of it I'm afraid!

Janet

Getting on fine with Elements SW!

At the same time I also bought a book entitled "Brilliant Photoshop Elements 7", and I'm currently working my way through it. Due to work pressure this month, I haven't had as much time as I would have liked.

I've taken loads of photo's, but unfortunately nothing good enough for the competition yet.

As for calibrating monitors? I didn't understand a word of it I'm afraid!

Janet

Frankly Janet, I think if you are now happy again, dont worry. Getting into calibration was a headache, IMHO, my previous monitor was fine calibrated with a simple on line free-bee, originaly initiated by 'Poldark' if my memory serves me? Be interested in you assessment of the book in the future? I'm having trouble finding another two for the competition, got a couple as standbys, could always put the bass picture in ;) ?

SW

SW, so far the book is excellent. Seems to cover everything, in an easy to read and well explained format.

Alnath, I'll have a look at Fotopic, as I'm still not at all happy with the pictures I upload from Photobucket. I do feel though that it's something I'm doing wrong, as other people aren't having the same problems. I do like Flickr though. The whole way the site is laid out is so much simpler, nicer to use and to look at.

Janet

....SW? Enter the bass picture! It's a lovely shot.

• 1 month later...

Help, I'm having photo hosting problems again!

This is uploaded from Flickr....

3785816296_a2df263711.jpg

...and this is from Photobucket....

SS855958-1.jpg

Both are just as they came out of the camera, and both have been resized on the respective sites to the same size (500 x 375) for comparison. Both were taken on my Samsung, as after an intensive couple of days with the Olympus, the battery lay down and surrendered!

My friend says I'm just seeing things, but I'm convinced that the second one is noticably less sharp.

Comments please?

Janet

Help, I'm having photo hosting problems again!

This is uploaded from Flickr....

3785816296_a2df263711.jpg

...and this is from Photobucket....

SS855958-1.jpg

Both are just as they came out of the camera, and both have been resized on the respective sites to the same size (500 x 375) for comparison. Both were taken on my Samsung, as after an intensive couple of days with the Olympus, the battery lay down and surrendered!

My friend says I'm just seeing things, but I'm convinced that the second one is noticably less sharp.

Comments please?

Janet

Janet you are not wrong, there is a definite difference . . . unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it? . . . I certainly don't have these problems with Photobucket . . .? I wonder if its because I re size first in Ev.7 before I up load to PB, so I don't use Photobuckets re size program at all?

SW