PHOTO HOSTING SITES

Janet

SW,

I uploaded the first photo to Flickr, checked the size and then resized in Photobucket to the same size to try and get an accurate comparison. Both pics were simply uploaded from my PC with no footling with any settings. That was the photo as it came out of the camera.

I'd sort of let the photo hosting thing pass me by, as it seemed to be acceptable to most folk, but I came home today and looked at the "Photo of the Day" thread, where I'd posted a picture that looked beautifully sharp on my PC, only to realise that it was absolutely dreadful when viewed on the forum! I've just bought a new monitor, so I suspect that made the problem seem worse...?

Other people don't seem to have these problems....I think I'm jinxed!

Janet

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW,

I uploaded the first photo to Flickr, checked the size and then resized in Photobucket to the same size to try and get an accurate comparison. Both pics were simply uploaded from my PC with no footling with any settings. That was the photo as it came out of the camera.

I'd sort of let the photo hosting thing pass me by, as it seemed to be acceptable to most folk, but I came home today and looked at the "Photo of the Day" thread, where I'd posted a picture that looked beautifully sharp on my PC, only to realise that it was absolutely dreadful when viewed on the forum! I've just bought a new monitor, so I suspect that made the problem seem worse...?

Other people don't seem to have these problems....I think I'm jinxed!

Janet

My suspicion Janet, is a problem with PB's re sizing program. Try re sizing in Elements, 'save as' the re sized picture to a folder and then upload this re sized picture from the folder to PB direct dont go through PB's re size. Its the way I do it with no problems.

SW

Help, I'm having photo hosting problems again!

This is uploaded from Flickr....

3785816296_a2df263711.jpg

...and this is from Photobucket....

SS855958-1.jpg

Both are just as they came out of the camera, and both have been resized on the respective sites to the same size (500 x 375) for comparison. Both were taken on my Samsung, as after an intensive couple of days with the Olympus, the battery lay down and surrendered!

My friend says I'm just seeing things, but I'm convinced that the second one is noticably less sharp.

Comments please?

Janet

Just had another look at this . . . not only lack of sharpness Janet, the colours are not right in the PB picture, is there some auto processing going on in Photobucket . . . ?? what ever, its unacceptable I would say . . . I still think, try the re size in Ev.7 then upload, you could even do the same comparison, Ev.7/Photobucket view only against Flicker.

5.15am!! what a silly time to be going to work . . . :huh:

SW

Another test....

3788515892_574c4585e1.jpg

SS856086-1.jpg

I think that's a decider....Flickr from now on!

The colours have been lightened in the PB version, and it's much less sharp and defined.

Has anyone else tried the same comparison?

Janet

Janet, have you tried the re size in Ev.7 then upload to PB, by passing 'PB re size'?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Janet,

What host site you use is a personal choice, Flicker certainly has it :g: . . . However it would be interesting for you to do the 're size in Ev.7 . . . etc', I'm sure we would all like to know if Flicker is simply 'better' or if its PB's auto re sizing package thats at fault?

The only other thing Janet, I have tried to look at Exif details on the Flicker hosted images . . . not there? On the picture of the pained pots it is there?

Yes, the the car photo is much better!

SW

Janet, have you tried the re size in Ev.7 then upload to PB, by passing 'PB re size'?

No, I'd forgotten your suggestion, but I'll have a try shortly!

Back soon....

Janet

Here it is....resized in E7 then simply uploaded to PB and posted.

E7OPERAHOUSE.jpg

Eh? The resize isn't quite what I expected! Back to work again....

Edited by Janet

No, I'd forgotten your suggestion, but I'll have a try shortly!

Back soon....

Janet

Here it is....resized in E7 then simply uploaded to PB and posted.

MANCHESTEROPERAHOUSE-E7.jpg

Eh? The resize isn't quite what I expected! Back to work again....

Well Janet, that looks OK to me, but . . . ??? a comparison 'Flickr at the size in the same window' would be good? How does it look to you? My suspicion are very much towards the PB re size option is not very good.

Thats good cos I've just opened a Flickr account . . . finding it a bit cumbersome compared with PB . . . thats perhaps lack of familiarity.

I hope this is right, first picture on flickr :huh:

No, cant work that on out for the moment . . . !!!! :headhurt:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior