PHOTO HOSTING SITES

Janet

SW, I don't seem to get the option to "Save As" like you do.

My pictures open automatically in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, and I then take it from there, using Picasa most times. My free trial of PS7 has run out, and I can't afford to buy the full package until next week! "Save as" lets me save it under a different name, but I don't seem to have any control over the size...

I'm not given any options for choosing size when I save it. Shouild I be using a different prog to open pictures? I seem to have several packages on this PC but I don't know what to use or when!

I do apologise if I'm being really dim, but I am very new to this and I'm currently wishing I'd taken up knitting instead!

Janet

By all accounts, its me who should have 'taken up knitting' Janet :lol:

. . . Mmm, not knowing how the other programs work, but suspecting they are doing nasties to your pictures behind your back? I dont see anything wrong with my versions of your pics, I have tried Picasas once, a couple of months back. Picasas took over my computer, never mind my pictures! Hopefully some one who knows the program better might be able to be more helpful? I think Judy used to use it?

Have you tried the freebie 'VertualStudio', Steve posted here a few days ago? I had a brief fiddle in it, felt fairly OK at the time? Might save you the cost of Ev.7 for a while? Also, we might be able to give more help, it does not seem to take over, therefore a few of us probably have it on our desktop?

Dont forget, if you do go the Elements rout, Amazon do the best price I have seen, mine is an Amazon 'used/new :thumbs: ' copy.

Hop thats a help?? :unsure:

SW

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Janet does this help

open pic in Microsoft office picture manager.

On the tool bar at the top there is edit pictures.

click on this and a side bar opens on the right.

resize to what you want then go to file and click ''save as'' and save it to where ever you want on your PC.

I think PB always resizes to 800 on the long side

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Her is a quick try this morning in 'VirtualStudio', dont think I've got the colour quite right, but an unfamiliar program and rushing before work:

NewquicktestinVirtualStudioJanet.jpg

It certainly does the things that Elements does, I particularly like its 'colour curve', just need a little more time on that.

The question does it mess the picture up when it transfers to PB, we will see . . . press the button B)

SW

Janet,

Just had another play in 'VirtualStudio', its seems to do most of the basic functions, plus a few like 'colour curves' that I particularly like. One could learn a lot from it . . . the functions are simple, a bit like using single buttons to set a camera, rather than multi function and menus, there are no 'choices' to confuse the issue . . . if you see what I mean? Plus the functions are expressed as a numeric value, as the slider is moved. I think a little course? but as a stop gap to Ev.7 it has a lot going for it. In fact, I could see it as more than a stop gap for the time being . . . why streeeeeetch the finances, have a play, the same as you did with Ev.7, if you get frustrated, then splash out :rolleyes:

Have a read of this Janet, gives a good uncomplicated insight into 'levels and colour curves', if I can understand it, you will find it a breeze:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/03/19/ho...d-curves-tools/

SW

Thanks once again for all the help everyone! I really do appreciate it!

I haven't had chance to play around yet, but I'm just about to order Elements 7 from Amazon. It seems the most sensible option, as many of you use it and are available to give advice (thanks again!) and there's a wealth of information on the Internet about how to use it.

I do rather like VirtualStudio, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to crop photo's! When I select the area I want, it removes it rather than the surrounding area that I want to get rid of! I suspect I'm being totally dim, but I've spent two evenings and still haven't figured it out!

Elements 7 it is then! I've found it for just under £30 plus postage, which seems rather cheap.

Anybody have any comments about that before I go for it?

Janet

Thanks once again for all the help everyone! I really do appreciate it!

I haven't had chance to play around yet, but I'm just about to order Elements 7 from Amazon. It seems the most sensible option, as many of you use it and are available to give advice (thanks again!) and there's a wealth of information on the Internet about how to use it.

I do rather like VirtualStudio, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to crop photo's! When I select the area I want, it removes it rather than the surrounding area that I want to get rid of! I suspect I'm being totally dim, but I've spent two evenings and still haven't figured it out!

Elements 7 it is then! I've found it for just under £30 plus postage, which seems rather cheap.

Anybody have any comments about that before I go for it?

Janet

I think thats about what I paid 6 months ago for Ev.7 from Amazon Janet. It came as a, no box, but sealed item with code number. Have had no problems with mine at all.

SW

but I can't for the life of me figure out how to crop photo's! When I select the area I want, it removes it rather than the surrounding area that I want to get rid of!

Janet

Try and find a command such as *invert selection*, should do the trick.

If you still struggle I know of a couple of freebies which will crop quite easily (and logically).

Thanks for that Ayjay. Invert selection worked. It did the trick - but I couldn't save it! Well, I did save it, or rather I think I did, but now it isn't anywhere to be found! Still, PS7 is currently on the way, so hopefully I'll be sorted soon....

Ok. Here is a quick pic I took yesterday. The first is on hosted on Photobucket, the second on Flickr, both uplloaded straight from my PC with no fiddling with any settings....on my PC the picture is very sharp....let's see what happens when I try to upload it....

PHOTOBUCKET

BLACKBERRYFLOWER.jpg

FLICKr

3617675368_df9b6e4647.jpg

Is it just me, or am I right in thinking that the Flickr upload is much sharper?

I hope it just turns out to be something simple that I'm doing wrong, as everyone else seems to be content with Photobucket as a hosting site....

Janet