Exif and RAW. . . a question?

Sutton Warrior

The competition is generating some interesting pictures . . . the rules also state that Exif detail must be included. It is obvious this rule is not being taken seriously, and when the question is asked, where is it, the reply, a verbal shrug of the shoulders? It ain't rocket science, if I can use 'save as' in PS to save my pictures any one can do it, 'save as' transfers Exif information, using only 'save' blocks it . . . If the Exif detail is blocked, (it can, also be blocked, I think, in the cameras menu?) one is left with the question 'what is there to hide'?

I also believe that RAW is allowed in the current rules of the competition . . . I have argued this before, RAW is a superior way of post processing an image, therefore as we are a very hobby based group, often using compact cameras. Processing in RAW allows far more flexibility, capture/retention of detail especially in highlights, so I am told. To justify its use by converting to JPEG after RAW manipulation is head in the clouds, dont want to understand stuff, smoke and mirrors.

We can all shoot JPEG, lets have a level playing field please.

In the future, no Exif gets no vote from me, any more than a converted RAW picture will. This may put a few backs up? so be it, I apologise, but I am entitled to an opinion, that opinion has not changed from the last time I raised the question.

Re reading the rules tells me that its trying to keep things simple, 'PP' manipulation to a bare minimum?? RAW ain't simple or bare minimum to the less experienced and compact users. Alternative, open house, anything goes, nothing to hide . . . = minimum entries?

Now, before those that are offended or think I am talking out of my @rse shout me down!!! Parliament fashion :rolleyes: . . . Please think, take stoke, this is one persons humble opinion . . . now its your turn to give 'your measured opinion' . . .

SW

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taken me a while, but I've finally found out how to save photo's with the EXIF information, so my last couple of entries in the photo comp show this. Not that I understand a bit of it, but at least it's there!

My camera allows me to crop pictures, and when I've done so it seems that I also lose the EXIF information. I'll try and stop fiddling and edit them on my PC instead so that I can save the EXIF info.

As for RAW? I really don't understand what it's all about.

I'm using a bog-standard compact digital camera. I know there's no way it can compare to a top of the range camera, but surely it should be down the the photographer's "eye" rather than any sort of manipulation? I'd like to think that our monthly competition is a level playing field, giving all of us an equal chance.

Janet

SW you need to take up knitting....

Would you let him handle sharp implements like knitting needles? Personally I wouldn't trust a man with anythiing sharp....they ain't good at multi-tasking (talking and breathing at the same time seem to cause difficulties..)

I do think that he had a good point though. The rules for the monthly comp state that EXIF info should be available. What's the point in having rules if nobody sticks to them? I don't for one minute think that anyone is trying to cheat, but I do think that perhaps we should all take this as a wake-up call and make sure that we follow the rules.

Janet

SW you need to take up knitting....

'andy-g'

Don't see your name attached to any of the 95 pictures in the new format referred to. Support the competition, enter, then you have a valid opinion?

Rules are there for all to follow. RAW, thats a personal opinion, JPEG is the lowest common denominator to allow all to have an equal chance?

SW

from memory it says should be available and you may be asked to submit the original

i for one save my images as "save for web" as i find them better ,but this removes the exif

but i do save all the originals

its not like we are trying to win a new car

just posting a few pics for fun and hoping for the odd good one

'andy-g'

Don't see your name attached to any of the 95 pictures in the new format referred to. Support the competition, enter, then you have a valid opinion?

Rules are there for all to follow. RAW, thats a personal opinion, JPEG is the lowest common denominator to allow all to have an equal chance?

SW

so i dont enter the comps

so have no valid opinion

all i read in your posts are moan moan moan,your like a stuck record. just get the camera out, take pictures and enjoy, lifes way too short.

from memory it says should be available and you may be asked to submit the original

i for one save my images as "save for web" as i find them better ,but this removes the exif

but i do save all the originals

its not like we are trying to win a new car

just posting a few pics for fun and hoping for the odd good one

Thats just fine, you are 'Simon pure'. Its an interpretation issue then? 'Personally' . . . I say it should be with the picture, anyone entering the competition should be able to interrogate the entry with an Exif program out of interest to see how the camera settings were configured. As you say its a bit of fun, but the idea, especially for the less experienced, surly is learning 'how'? JPEG and Exif helps?

Quote from the rules:

Exif information is something that is embedded into a photograph when the photo is taken, the gallery software automatically reads and displays it for you when you upload your photo.After you have resized your photo ready to upload its recommended that you use your image editing softwares "Save As" command to save it as this will maintain the exif info in the photograph, using "Save" or "Save for web" will destroy this information. Simple enough?

Alternative, a free for all, do it how you like, no hold bared . . . see where that gets a simple format, photographic forum?

I repeat my question, why not enter?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

so i dont enter the comps

so have no valid opinion

all i read in your posts are moan moan moan,your like a stuck record. just get the camera out, take pictures and enjoy, lifes way too short.

Looking at the competition, it seems 'I do get the camera out' . . . try putting you you opinion into action and read the rules!

SW

Well I can tell you now, I shoot in RAW and I'm sure as hell not going to go out and change my settings EVERY TIME I see a shot that I think might go in the AN photo comp. You must be joking. RAW is the very basic's of editing, it's not removing lamp posts, or adding extra flowers to a shot, it's just colour correcting, exposure adjusting basic editing.

As for EXIF, I've got nothing to hide but I cant get the EXIF up there. I convert from RAW but then when I resize, I use the "Save for web or device" coz if I dont the pic comes out very very blocky. I think this is where my EXIF goes AWOL. i'm working on it. OK, I wont post anymore comp entries until I sort it.

You've given me the shits SW, you may have the rules on your side but I still got the shits :2:

rb_getcreative.gif