Exif and RAW. . . a question?

Sutton Warrior

The inclusion of exif info started right at the beginning just before this photo forum was kindly opened by Elton. At that time the comp took the form of a bi-weekly challenge, with a set theme (eg water, cloudscapes etc). The idea was to get people out and about taking photos, following that theme and for the entries to be photographed in that two week period.

Now, with all the best will in the world, someone will always try to bend rules if possible...its almost a human trait so exif info was consulted to assess when the photo was taken, and quite rightly as Clifftop has said the exif info gives those who are interested the required shooting data. Also bear in mind that in its early days the comp was sponsored and prizes given.

Without current exif data anyone could upload any shot from their archives without get off ones posterior, I myself could enter photos for the next three years on just about any theme you care to mention with just the click of a few buttons...hardly competitive is it.

By the way, since I have recently returned, there have been a number of photos in the monthly comp, without exif that I'm convinced where not taken that month they where entered in. Thats gone by now, done and dusted so to speak.

We could if you wanted to forget all about exif, if thats what you want to do and allow people to use photos from their archive/back catalog/or scanned prints, but I would then suggest we revert to themes..such themes that require 'togs to get out and be challenged as opposed to using photos already held on their machines.

I dont have any problem whatsoever if change is wanted and called for, so long as the comps stay reasonably competitive, but to my mind using photos one took 3 months ago is akin to just posting photos on a topic on its own.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post Steve, and a good explanation as to why we've got the competition in its current format. I think we just have to live within the rules to keep it fair to everyone. As a newbie, I find the Exif information very useful, although I'm still struggling to master the ins and outs to get a good shot for this month!

Personally, I'd like to keep the competition as it is, although I'm struggling to find anything worth entering!

As a viewer for a few years though, I did rather enjoy the set themes. It was always interesting to see different people's interpretations of the same basic idea....

Janet