help with float fishing please

ive been fishing for about 6 years and i mainly ledger fish because im shocking at float fishing.....

basically i like to fish for tench and carp and just cant catch them on the float....

whenever i cast out i cant sink the line etc im just rubbish ahahaha

do i use a self cocking float (with the weight in the float end) or a normal float......

any tips would be awesome cos would love to enjoy float fishing :)

If you want to sink your line whip the rod tip under the water as soon as you have finished your follow through, wait for the float to settle then bring in the slack!!

I like to use floats that I have to loadf myself so I can decide how much I want to sink the float!!

Hope that helps!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Hi Moonlight, you really need to understand how you want your bait to behave as you will not always want your line to sink, as a generalisation if you are fishing still or slow moving water a bottom end only float is preferable ( waggler ) and if you are fishing your bait close to the bottom you would probably want your line to sink, try keeping some cheap washing up liquid with you , overcast and wind back in holding a soaked sponge against the line, remember to treat the length that runs along the rod !. when you cast feather the line as it lands dip your rod tip under the surface of the water and a couple of quick turns of the handle will sink the line,set your rod to sit on your box and rod rest with the tip just under the surface while you wait for any bites.

for faster water a stick float or similar may be best and for this you would normally want the line to float.

Float fishing is a rewarding method and takes lots of practice,try and get hold of " float fishing by Billy Lane " from your local library ( or e-bay )a bit dated now but is really excellent .

Good luck and persevere ! :)

Edited by KAYC

I'm in agreement with the others. Float fishing is my no.1 favourite method of fishing, although ironically enough I am really getting into ledgering now!

Another effective method of sinking the line is as follows:

1. Cast a bit further than you want to fish, although this can work (with practise) if you cant cast further due to the far bank, reeds, etc.

2. Slowly take up the slack and tighten the line up to the float.

3. Dip at least a foot of your rod tip under the water.

4. Quickly whip the rod tip out of the water, act as if your striking into a fish.

This method should sink your line very quickly without moving your float too much.

Sinking the line can be very important and is one of the most annoying things about float fishing! Just a small amount of a breeze can ruin your presentation as a moving bait under the water which is almost certainly moving in opposition to the tow under the water which puts those hungry fish right off.

Also, ducks, swans and other wildfowl can move across your line which at best will ruin the presentation and at worst will mean a hooked or tangled bird!

I find that the slightly more expensive flourocarbon lines are much better at sinking than standard monofiliment lines. Berkley Trilene is well recommended.

One more thing, soak your spool of line in warm water and a washing up liquid solution overnight. This helps to remove any grease or oils on the line which will cause it to float. However, if you want your line to float because your trotting a river then vaseline is a great line floatant. Pop into a chemist or Boots and pick up a small blue and white tin of vaseline and keep it in your bag. Also keep a small bottle of washing up liquid in your bag to help the line to sink as suggested by KAYC.

I generally now find that if its windy I will ledger with a quivertip or touch. If its calm I'll go for the float rod.

As for floats. I like to use loaded wagglers because I can vary the depth without mucking about too much shifting any surrounding shot around but it really is a personal preference. Most of the shot should be around the float except when using the lift method for tench and carp.

Have fun!