Fishing in Harpenden, Hertfordshire ?

Danez

Hi guys does anyone know if there is any free fishing in Harpenden, i was walking there the other day, looked over a road bridge in the town to see some magnificent Chub and some Barbel.

If no free fishing, do you know of club that holds the rights to fish in the town.

Thanks.

Fishing in Harpenden, Hertfordshire (and Herefordshire),

Hardly ever happens.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Geoff

The river Lea runs through the park/common in Wheathamstead town centre and the last 10 to 15 swims just before the common ends is a good section for Chub and in the evening for smallish Barbel up to around the 5lb mark and is free fishing. Verulum AC own the next stretch as it leaves the common for around a mile of bankside past Marford Farm plus a shorter stretch upstream of Wheathamstead called Leasey Bridge which Peter mentioned.

I am a member of Verulum AC and fish both these sections. see here for details --> Verulum AC

I don't know about the fishing in Harpenden but Leasey Bridge is between Harpenden and Wheathampstead.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• 3 weeks later...
The river Lea runs through the park/common in Wheathamstead town centre and the last 10 to 15 swims just before the common ends is a good section for Chub and in the evening for smallish Barbel up to around the 5lb mark and is free fishing. Verulum AC own the next stretch as it leaves the common for around a mile of bankside past Marford Farm plus a shorter stretch upstream of Wheathamstead called Leasey Bridge which Peter mentioned.

I am a member of Verulum AC and fish both these sections. see here for details --> Verulum AC

I don't know about the fishing in Harpenden but Leasey Bridge is between Harpenden and Wheathampstead.

Thanks for the info Guys.

BoldBear i will be looking into VAC very soon matey.

• 2 years later...

just thought i would bring this topic back to life, fishing in Harpenden is possible! it sounds too good to be true really as beyond Harpenden there arent any free stretches all the way to Welwn. Harpenden has some pretty interesting stretches. Though it changes year to year. I have been fishing it for about 15 years now and recently got an 8lb 8oz barbel off a free spot that i will not name. though I would say that a good spot at the moment for shoals of bigger chub and roach is off the bridge near the play ground. the fields below the ford are ok, they where a hotspot 5 years back but now dont make for a great session. Harpenden has recently been producing rudd, my brother had one of 13 oz off the bridge a while back and i have caught my first in the lea too. if you havent decided / or even if you have to join veralum, its worth a try fishing the lea, there are actually many places to try and fish, i have fished almost every spot on the way through harpenden, even once had a 4lb barbel under station road bridge, but its such a horrible place to fish i wouldnt bother again. The best stretch if you want to bag up on chub with maggots is the factories, its just above the ford on the footpath, its the most consistent of them all to avoid blanks but the biggest fish is 1lb 8!

• 2 months later...
just thought i would bring this topic back to life, fishing in Harpenden is possible! it sounds too good to be true really as beyond Harpenden there arent any free stretches all the way to Welwn. Harpenden has some pretty interesting stretches. Though it changes year to year. I have been fishing it for about 15 years now and recently got an 8lb 8oz barbel off a free spot that i will not name. though I would say that a good spot at the moment for shoals of bigger chub and roach is off the bridge near the play ground. the fields below the ford are ok, they where a hotspot 5 years back but now dont make for a great session. Harpenden has recently been producing rudd, my brother had one of 13 oz off the bridge a while back and i have caught my first in the lea too. if you havent decided / or even if you have to join veralum, its worth a try fishing the lea, there are actually many places to try and fish, i have fished almost every spot on the way through harpenden, even once had a 4lb barbel under station road bridge, but its such a horrible place to fish i wouldnt bother again. The best stretch if you want to bag up on chub with maggots is the factories, its just above the ford on the footpath, its the most consistent of them all to avoid blanks but the biggest fish is 1lb 8!

Hi, I have just moved to Harpenden and am new to fishing also. Could you tell me any easy to reach places to fish as I have amputated feet?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I have just moved to Harpenden and am new to fishing also. Could you tell me any easy to reach places to fish as I have amputated feet?

Hey mate,

Great you are getting into fishing. I am not sure about where to fish the lea at the moment as I think so many anglers have pounced in on the river on the 16th june that about 9 out of 10 fish seem to be hiding. The section to the right of the bridge (not ford bridge - the other one) has a lot of pegs made, they are a little narrow though. I am not too sure about how well it is fishing either. potentially some nice roach and rudd hiding in the reeds. Also I would say the factories (upstream of ford - accessed by lower luton road near wier pool) are pretty easy to get into but there aren't many fish there. hope this helps :)