converting a canoe

noodle996

ok here goes

i have recently aquired a 13ft glassfibre canoe that has been desined for lake and 'mild' white water use apperently

now its one of the ones with a hole in it to be used with a spray deck

what would be the bestway to convert this (cut the top partially out) into one i can sit in but without having my legs enclosed.

it currently has no bouyancy in it so i will be looking at filling it with either bags or closed cell foam to some degree and running a frame through it to strengthen it after taking some of the top out, put a seat on and fix things like a crate to it for my gear

it will be used on shallow (inland) venues where i physically cant get my boat onto

1st off is this viable or should i just use it as it was designed?

2nd what material would be best suited to making the frame timber, aluminium etc

and which would be more suitble for the bouyancy im aware adding the foam will add weight and hence make it sit lower in the water so bags eem a better option on that score but they wont increase the rigidity as the foam would

Edited by noodle996

Hi Noodle.

Sounds like a challenging project :headhurt:

Just my oppinion...but....I think it would cost you a few bob to do it, and you wouldnt be able to guarentee the end product, or trust it?

You may be better off looking out for a second hand sit on top, and save yourself the bother.

Hope I havnt burst your bubble ;)

Bill :)

P.S.....I know where there is a nice surf ski for sale :clap2::D:D:D

Hi Noodle.

Sounds like a challenging project :headhurt:

Just my oppinion...but....I think it would cost you a few bob to do it, and you wouldnt be able to guarentee the end product, or trust it?

You may be better off looking out for a second hand sit on top, and save yourself the bother.

Hope I havnt burst your bubble ;)

Bill :)

P.S.....I know where there is a nice surf ski for sale

i was looking at proper yaks last year and came close to buying a big game i think itwas

decided a small boat would be more suitable, the thing is i cant get the boat onto a couple of the waters i wanted it for (the vehicle access has been restricted)

ive the time to tinker and i like doing it if it all goes belly up there is always the tip :oops:

to be honest it gives me something to do and an oppertunity to learn some things along the way as it is it wont be fished from a great deal more for the purpose of getting me around the lakes in question as bank access is very limited about 400 yards over an area of 3-4 miles

a lot of places are fairly shallow hence the sot route i dont fancy cracking my head on the bottom and struggling to get out of the spray deck

cheers for the reply though

Edited by noodle996