Postal Insurance

Elton

As many might know, I run a small giftware business for a living - www.collectorsgifts.com

On eBay, I've always maintained that customers don't need to pay 'Postal Insurance', as we have a legal and moral obligation to get the goods to them in good condition.

Whilst I'm sure that nobody will refute the moral obligation (let's face it, customers aren't going to order again, anyway, if they don't get their goods!), can anyone clarify the legal situation?

The reason I ask is that my wife has just received a parcel from one of these 'Christmas stuff' companies and the invoice shows a small charge (75p) for parcel insurance.

Many thanks in advance,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The charge Elton will PROBABLY be explained in the form etc., she signed up when starting the account and is Usually levied by rip off companies!! All it is, is that you reckon it up, they send out say 1,000 parcels a day. At 75 pence per parcel?? Pay for say 1% that goes astray (will it not!!) Especially as they will claim from the Post office anyway! Well they used to!! But the rules have now changed and you can no longer claim for the postage cost back if something goes missing, or so I believe!

But it is most probably legit I think you will find!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

She specifically said 'no' to insurance. We always do :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If the goods sent + the cost value of post/packing are under £28.00 they should be covered under the Royal Mails liability. Im not up to speed on current developments of their " new compensation" but will be suprized if you can not claim for postage costs also. Does anyone know for certain or is this just gossip ?

Anything over £28 and the company sending the goods would need their brains examining if they did not insure, as it is not only their responcibility but a leagle requirement to get the goods to you, and undamaged. Whether or not they charge the customer for the insurance should be made clear in the terms of contract however even if you refuse to take ( and pay ) for the insurance , it does not let them off the hook with regard to delivering undamaged.

Compensation of up to £28 is only available if paying for Recorded Delivery - sent by either 1st. or 2nd. class.

If an item is lost the recorded compensation paid is up £28 plus the cost of postage paid.

Higher value items need to be sent Registered or by Special Delivery.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

as far as i know, regular first and second class have no insurance. you have to use special or recorded delivery if you want insurance. otherwise the system would be wide open to abuse 'i posted something a while ago that hasn't turned up, it was worth £28' 'ok sir, even though you have no proof of posting, heres £28 and sorry for the inconvenience'

can't see it myself, even in yoxers utopia

Insurance is given on all 1st and 2nd class post up to £28 or the value of the goods if lower. However, as Yoxer says, you have to get a Certificate of Posting, which is free on request.

Note that, contrary to popular belief (and especially many eBayers!) Recorded Delivery gives you no extra insurance compared with ordinary 1st or 2nd class post with a Certificate of Posting. Special Delivery however does.

With Parcel Post you can buy extra insurance for a small additional sum.

One of the main exclusions is breakage (but not loss) of china and glass, but in the practice the Royal Mail often pays out.

There's a very useful booklet you can get from any Post Office called "All You Need To Know" that gives you full details.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net